DNS not working - SMB

This is a discussion on DNS not working - SMB ; Our Linux-Samba server is on our lan. Clients are W2k and W98. It all works OK except when the clients log in they see "No domain server was available...." . Then they log in normally. I have the server set ...

  1. DNS not working

    Our Linux-Samba server is on our lan. Clients are W2k and W98. It all works
    OK except when the clients log in they see "No domain server was
    available...." . Then they log in normally. I have the server set to be the
    domain server but apparently don't have the settings right.

    Suggestions and comments will be appreciated.

    Joe

  2. Re: DNS not working

    Joe Hollander wrote:

    > Our Linux-Samba server is on our lan. Clients are W2k and W98. It all works
    > OK except when the clients log in they see "No domain server was
    > available...." . Then they log in normally. I have the server set to be the
    > domain server but apparently don't have the settings right.
    >
    > Suggestions and comments will be appreciated.
    >
    > Joe

    Hi Joe,

    Unfortunately, I do not know what is causes the problem
    but here are two things to think about.

    1) the "domain server" spoken of is not your DNS server.
    It is the Domain server in Samba

    2) Did you remember to add your clients to /etc/passwd and
    join them with smbpasswd? (if not, look for a good Samba
    Domain Server how to on google.)

    Sorry I can not be of more help.
    --Tony

    --