Trying so hard to configure Samba - SMB

This is a discussion on Trying so hard to configure Samba - SMB ; Why is it so difficult to install and config samba? Here's what I have done so far. RH9.0 PIII - tried to install samba3.04 but got core dump errors when trying to compile it. So then tried to install 2.2.9 ...

  1. Trying so hard to configure Samba

    Why is it so difficult to install and config samba?

    Here's what I have done so far.

    RH9.0 PIII - tried to install samba3.04 but got core dump errors when
    trying to compile it. So then tried to install 2.2.9 this compiled and
    installed OK but I can't config it correctly, I have bought a book "Using
    Samba" Oreilly and tried running through the config section but don't get
    anywhere.

    Here is my situation;

    machine 1 - oblivion RH9.0 samba 2.2.9 with a directory /mnt/test to
    share out

    machine 2 - monkey Windows2003 with a directory shareddocs. This is a
    PDC central users logon to this machine, it is also a DHCP, DNS and WINS
    server for the remaining network.

    I would like to connet to both shares from both machines. Is this possible?

    I would really appreciate it if someone could help and get me started with
    this samba/linux solution.

    Thanks, Mic

  2. Re: Trying so hard to configure Samba

    mic wrote:

    > Why is it so difficult to install and config samba?
    >
    > Here's what I have done so far.
    >
    > RH9.0 PIII - tried to install samba3.04 but got core dump errors when
    > trying to compile it. So then tried to install 2.2.9 this compiled and
    > installed OK but I can't config it correctly, I have bought a book "Using
    > Samba" Oreilly and tried running through the config section but don't get
    > anywhere.
    >
    > Here is my situation;
    >
    > machine 1 - oblivion RH9.0 samba 2.2.9 with a directory /mnt/test to
    > share out
    >
    > machine 2 - monkey Windows2003 with a directory shareddocs. This is a
    > PDC central users logon to this machine, it is also a DHCP, DNS and WINS
    > server for the remaining network.
    >
    > I would like to connet to both shares from both machines. Is this possible?
    >
    > I would really appreciate it if someone could help and get me started with
    > this samba/linux solution.
    >
    > Thanks, Mic

    Why are you compiling it yourself rather than using a ready-to-install
    package?

  3. Re: Trying so hard to configure Samba

    Install webmin - get the samba webmin package - browse to oblivion:10000 -
    Set it up there I think it's a lot more intuitive. Just make sure the world
    cannot get to the webmin port webmin isn't particularly secure.

    There's also another X client app that configures samba for you - but I
    can't remember the name - I know there's a debian package for it.

    ..-=gp=-.

    "CJT" wrote in message
    > mic wrote:
    >
    > > Why is it so difficult to install and config samba?
    > >
    > > Here's what I have done so far.
    > >
    > > RH9.0 PIII - tried to install samba3.04 but got core dump errors when
    > > trying to compile it. So then tried to install 2.2.9 this compiled and
    > > installed OK but I can't config it correctly, I have bought a book

    "Using
    > > Samba" Oreilly and tried running through the config section but don't

    get
    > > anywhere.
    > >
    > > Here is my situation;
    > >
    > > machine 1 - oblivion RH9.0 samba 2.2.9 with a directory /mnt/test to
    > > share out
    > >
    > > machine 2 - monkey Windows2003 with a directory shareddocs. This is

    > > PDC central users logon to this machine, it is also a DHCP, DNS and WINS
    > > server for the remaining network.
    > >
    > > I would like to connet to both shares from both machines. Is this

    possible?

    > > I would really appreciate it if someone could help and get me started

    with
    > > this samba/linux solution.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Mic
    > >

    > Why are you compiling it yourself rather than using a ready-to-install
    > package?
    >
    > --
    > The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    > minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.

+ Reply to Thread