File date changed after read access - SMB

This is a discussion on File date changed after read access - SMB ; Dear all, when opening MS Office documents without changing or saving anything, the file dates are changed. This happens for at least .PPT and .XLS files. Environment: - server: Solaris 2.9, Samba 3.0.2a - client: WinXP, MS Office 2000 All ...

  1. File date changed after read access

    Dear all,

    when opening MS Office documents without changing or saving anything,
    the file dates are changed.

    This happens for at least .PPT and .XLS files.

    Environment:
    - server: Solaris 2.9, Samba 3.0.2a
    - client: WinXP, MS Office 2000

    All I found was to upgrade to Samba 2.2.8 or higher, but this does not
    solve the problem.

    Did I miss something in my configuration files?

    Milan

    ---
    smb.conf
    ---

    [global]
    remote announce = [...]
    domain master = yes
    allow hosts = [...]
    name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
    encrypt passwords = no
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8760 SO_RCVBUF=8760
    wins support = true
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    interfaces = [...]
    security = user
    server string = %h (Samba %v)
    workgroup = [...]
    getwd cache = yes
    map archive = no
    map hidden = no
    wins proxy = yes
    log file = /var/local/samba/var/log.%m
    log level = 1
    netbios name = [...]
    os level = 65
    logon drive = h:
    default = homes
    dos filetime resolution = yes

    [homes]
    writable = yes
    browseable = no
    create mode = 0640

    [ljxyz]
    printable = yes
    use client driver = yes
    guest ok = no
    comment = [...]
    writable = no
    path = /tmp
    printing = lprng
    print command = /usr/local/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
    lpq command = /usr/local/bin/lpq -P%p
    lprm command = /usr/local/bin/lprm -P%p -U%u %j

    [proj]
    path = /home/proj
    writable = yes
    browseable = no
    create mode = 664
    directory mode = 770
    comment = Homes for different Projects

  2. Re: File date changed after read access

    Milan Schulte wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > when opening MS Office documents without changing or saving anything,
    > the file dates are changed.
    >
    > This happens for at least .PPT and .XLS files.
    >
    > Environment:
    > - server: Solaris 2.9, Samba 3.0.2a
    > - client: WinXP, MS Office 2000
    >
    > All I found was to upgrade to Samba 2.2.8 or higher, but this does not
    > solve the problem.
    >
    > Did I miss something in my configuration files?

    Unfortunately Office registers each file access internally, and you will
    even see the mentioned office files grow in size (if you create just a
    empty doc first) when someone but the original creator accessed them, due
    to the in-file-logging by the application.

    > [proj]
    > path = /home/proj
    > writable = yes
    > browseable = no
    > create mode = 664
    > directory mode = 770
    > comment = Homes for different Projects

    *to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**React ivate*your*MS*software.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.4-1.tmb.6mdk*[LinuxCounter#295241]

+ Reply to Thread