I am having problems when editing text files on Samba shares. I am using
Kate (part of KDE 3.2.1) to edit a file, and it falsely reports that the
file has been modified by another application when I try to save. This
only occurs for files stored on a Samba share.

The same thing also happened with another KDE text editor (not sure
which one it was). So I expect that KDE has a file modification checker
that is used in both of these editors.

I conclude that either Samba is falsely reporting a modified file, or
the KDE file modification checker is falsely interpreting the
information from Samba... Does anyone know how I might fix this problem?

Thanks,

Nathan