Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles - SMB

This is a discussion on Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles - SMB ; Hi Folks, I've stumbled on a problem that I haven't been able to find a solution. It's concerning the Windows XP shutdown process. Some Windows XP machines do the following (among other things) during shutdown: 1. Close network connections 2. ...

  1. Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    Hi Folks,

    I've stumbled on a problem that I haven't been able to find a
    solution. It's concerning the Windows XP shutdown process. Some
    Windows XP machines do the following (among other things) during
    shutdown:

    1. Close network connections
    2. Save settings

    This seems to create a problem when using roaming profiles. After the
    user makes changes to their profile, the Windows XP workstation needs
    to save the changes to the server during shutdown. But since Windows
    XP is closing the network connection before saving the user settings,
    the profile on the server is not updated.

    The solution would be a way to change the shutdown process on the
    Windows XP workstation to:

    1. Save settings
    2. Close network connections

    Is there a way to configure the XP shutdown process to save the
    settings and then continue shutting down the PC (including network
    connections)?

    BTW, Windows 2000 machines on the same network do not have this
    problem. They all save settings before shutdown and their profiles get
    properly updated on the server.

    Other problems I've read about in newsgroups may also be related to
    this. These include deleted files reappearing the next time the user
    logs on to the domain. The cause may be the same since the profile was
    never updated and the file was never deleted from the domain server's
    profile and re-appears when the profile is re-loaded the next time the
    user logs on.

    I'm posting this on Samba/Linux/BSD newsgroups as well since the
    server is a FreeBSD/Samba PDC.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Raffi

  2. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    "Raffi" wrote in message
    news:fe5b2bad.0404251208.6bfae6af@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I've stumbled on a problem that I haven't been able to find a
    > solution. It's concerning the Windows XP shutdown process. Some
    > Windows XP machines do the following (among other things) during
    > shutdown:
    >
    > 1. Close network connections
    > 2. Save settings
    >
    > This seems to create a problem when using roaming profiles. After the
    > user makes changes to their profile, the Windows XP workstation needs
    > to save the changes to the server during shutdown. But since Windows
    > XP is closing the network connection before saving the user settings,
    > the profile on the server is not updated.

    ... I'm running a node for students' PC's with XP, Samba and roaming profiles
    and I've never noticed that the profiles are not updated on the server ..
    maybe you are having some other problem ?

  3. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    Any userenv errors in your event logs?

    Raffi wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I've stumbled on a problem that I haven't been able to find a
    > solution. It's concerning the Windows XP shutdown process. Some
    > Windows XP machines do the following (among other things) during
    > shutdown:
    >
    > 1. Close network connections
    > 2. Save settings
    >
    > This seems to create a problem when using roaming profiles. After the
    > user makes changes to their profile, the Windows XP workstation needs
    > to save the changes to the server during shutdown. But since Windows
    > XP is closing the network connection before saving the user settings,
    > the profile on the server is not updated.
    >
    > The solution would be a way to change the shutdown process on the
    > Windows XP workstation to:
    >
    > 1. Save settings
    > 2. Close network connections
    >
    > Is there a way to configure the XP shutdown process to save the
    > settings and then continue shutting down the PC (including network
    > connections)?
    >
    > BTW, Windows 2000 machines on the same network do not have this
    > problem. They all save settings before shutdown and their profiles get
    > properly updated on the server.
    >
    > Other problems I've read about in newsgroups may also be related to
    > this. These include deleted files reappearing the next time the user
    > logs on to the domain. The cause may be the same since the profile was
    > never updated and the file was never deleted from the domain server's
    > profile and re-appears when the profile is re-loaded the next time the
    > user logs on.
    >
    > I'm posting this on Samba/Linux/BSD newsgroups as well since the
    > server is a FreeBSD/Samba PDC.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Raffi

  4. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    I'm getting 1 userenv warning:

    warning - Category none, Event ID 1525 (Windows has detected that
    Offline Caching is enabled on the Roaming Profile share - to avoid
    potential profile corruption, Offline Caching must be disabled on
    shares where roaming user profiles are stored). I know how to disable
    offline caching on Samba but I doubt it will have an effect on this
    problem.

    I'm also getting 1 eventsystem warning and 1 autoenrollment error
    which may be related to this problem

    warning - Category 52, Event ID 4356 (The COM+ Event System failed to
    create an instance of the subscriber partition

    error - Category none, Event ID 15 (Automatic certificate enrollment
    for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b).
    The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted).

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote in message news:<#1emCPxKEHA.988@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > Any userenv errors in your event logs?
    >
    > Raffi wrote:
    > > Hi Folks,
    > >
    > > I've stumbled on a problem that I haven't been able to find a
    > > solution. It's concerning the Windows XP shutdown process. Some
    > > Windows XP machines do the following (among other things) during
    > > shutdown:
    > >
    > > 1. Close network connections
    > > 2. Save settings
    > >
    > > This seems to create a problem when using roaming profiles. After the
    > > user makes changes to their profile, the Windows XP workstation needs
    > > to save the changes to the server during shutdown. But since Windows
    > > XP is closing the network connection before saving the user settings,
    > > the profile on the server is not updated.
    > >
    > > The solution would be a way to change the shutdown process on the
    > > Windows XP workstation to:
    > >
    > > 1. Save settings
    > > 2. Close network connections
    > >
    > > Is there a way to configure the XP shutdown process to save the
    > > settings and then continue shutting down the PC (including network
    > > connections)?
    > >
    > > BTW, Windows 2000 machines on the same network do not have this
    > > problem. They all save settings before shutdown and their profiles get
    > > properly updated on the server.
    > >
    > > Other problems I've read about in newsgroups may also be related to
    > > this. These include deleted files reappearing the next time the user
    > > logs on to the domain. The cause may be the same since the profile was
    > > never updated and the file was never deleted from the domain server's
    > > profile and re-appears when the profile is re-loaded the next time the
    > > user logs on.
    > >
    > > I'm posting this on Samba/Linux/BSD newsgroups as well since the
    > > server is a FreeBSD/Samba PDC.
    > >
    > > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Raffi

  5. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought of this too, but if something
    else was causing the problem most likely the Windows 2000 machines
    would be having problems too. BTW, Windows ME profiles are working
    fine as well. The problem seems to be isolated to machines running
    Windows XP Pro.

    Raffi

    "imbsysop" wrote in message news:...
    > "Raffi" wrote in message
    > news:fe5b2bad.0404251208.6bfae6af@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi Folks,
    > >
    > > I've stumbled on a problem that I haven't been able to find a
    > > solution. It's concerning the Windows XP shutdown process. Some
    > > Windows XP machines do the following (among other things) during
    > > shutdown:
    > >
    > > 1. Close network connections
    > > 2. Save settings
    > >
    > > This seems to create a problem when using roaming profiles. After the
    > > user makes changes to their profile, the Windows XP workstation needs
    > > to save the changes to the server during shutdown. But since Windows
    > > XP is closing the network connection before saving the user settings,
    > > the profile on the server is not updated.

    > .. I'm running a node for students' PC's with XP, Samba and roaming profiles
    > and I've never noticed that the profiles are not updated on the server ..
    > maybe you are having some other problem ?

  6. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    Raffi wrote:
    > I'm getting 1 userenv warning:
    >
    > warning - Category none, Event ID 1525 (Windows has detected that
    > Offline Caching is enabled on the Roaming Profile share - to avoid
    > potential profile corruption, Offline Caching must be disabled on
    > shares where roaming user profiles are stored). I know how to disable
    > offline caching on Samba but I doubt it will have an effect on this
    > problem.

    It's a very good idea to disable offline caching on profile directories-
    I've seen it cause tons of problems. If you change this, login and test, see
    if it works....

    > I'm also getting 1 eventsystem warning and 1 autoenrollment error
    > which may be related to this problem
    >
    > warning - Category 52, Event ID 4356 (The COM+ Event System failed to
    > create an instance of the subscriber partition

    Not related

    > error - Category none, Event ID 15 (Automatic certificate enrollment
    > for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b).
    > The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted).

    Interesting, but not related -

    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > wrote in
    > message news:<#1emCPxKEHA.988@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    >> Any userenv errors in your event logs?
    >>
    >> Raffi wrote:
    >>> Hi Folks,
    >>>
    >>> I've stumbled on a problem that I haven't been able to find a
    >>> solution. It's concerning the Windows XP shutdown process. Some
    >>> Windows XP machines do the following (among other things) during
    >>> shutdown:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Close network connections
    >>> 2. Save settings
    >>>
    >>> This seems to create a problem when using roaming profiles. After
    >>> the user makes changes to their profile, the Windows XP workstation
    >>> needs to save the changes to the server during shutdown. But since
    >>> Windows XP is closing the network connection before saving the user
    >>> settings, the profile on the server is not updated.
    >>>
    >>> The solution would be a way to change the shutdown process on the
    >>> Windows XP workstation to:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Save settings
    >>> 2. Close network connections
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to configure the XP shutdown process to save the
    >>> settings and then continue shutting down the PC (including network
    >>> connections)?
    >>>
    >>> BTW, Windows 2000 machines on the same network do not have this
    >>> problem. They all save settings before shutdown and their profiles
    >>> get properly updated on the server.
    >>>
    >>> Other problems I've read about in newsgroups may also be related to
    >>> this. These include deleted files reappearing the next time the user
    >>> logs on to the domain. The cause may be the same since the profile
    >>> was never updated and the file was never deleted from the domain
    >>> server's profile and re-appears when the profile is re-loaded the
    >>> next time the user logs on.
    >>>
    >>> I'm posting this on Samba/Linux/BSD newsgroups as well since the
    >>> server is a FreeBSD/Samba PDC.
    >>>
    >>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Raffi

  7. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    OK, I tried logging on with offline caching disabled in Samba (csc
    policy = disable) and it didn't solve the problem. I'm not surprised
    by this since the machine still tried to save the profile settings
    after closing the network connections.

    Any other suggestions? I still would like to know how I can make
    Windows XP save settings THEN close network connections. If anyone out
    there knows how to do this, please post.

    Thanks,

    Raffi

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote in message news:...
    > Raffi wrote:
    > > I'm getting 1 userenv warning:
    > >
    > > warning - Category none, Event ID 1525 (Windows has detected that
    > > Offline Caching is enabled on the Roaming Profile share - to avoid
    > > potential profile corruption, Offline Caching must be disabled on
    > > shares where roaming user profiles are stored). I know how to disable
    > > offline caching on Samba but I doubt it will have an effect on this
    > > problem.

    > It's a very good idea to disable offline caching on profile directories-
    > I've seen it cause tons of problems. If you change this, login and test, see
    > if it works....
    > >
    > > I'm also getting 1 eventsystem warning and 1 autoenrollment error
    > > which may be related to this problem
    > >
    > > warning - Category 52, Event ID 4356 (The COM+ Event System failed to
    > > create an instance of the subscriber partition

    > Not related
    > >
    > > error - Category none, Event ID 15 (Automatic certificate enrollment
    > > for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007054b).
    > > The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted).

    > Interesting, but not related -
    > >
    > > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > > wrote in
    > > message news:<#1emCPxKEHA.988@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > >> Any userenv errors in your event logs?

  8. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    "Raffi" wrote in message
    news:fe5b2bad.0404262343.606d44ab@posting.google.c om...
    > OK, I tried logging on with offline caching disabled in Samba (csc
    > policy = disable) and it didn't solve the problem. I'm not surprised
    > by this since the machine still tried to save the profile settings
    > after closing the network connections.
    >
    > Any other suggestions? I still would like to know how I can make
    > Windows XP save settings THEN close network connections. If anyone out
    > there knows how to do this, please post.

    DNS (reverse) Problems cause some errors on XP when 2k is ok. Is WINS
    enabled?

  9. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    "Pertti Kosunen" wrote in message news:...
    > "Raffi" wrote in message
    > news:fe5b2bad.0404262343.606d44ab@posting.google.c om...
    > > OK, I tried logging on with offline caching disabled in Samba (csc
    > > policy = disable) and it didn't solve the problem. I'm not surprised
    > > by this since the machine still tried to save the profile settings
    > > after closing the network connections.
    > >
    > > Any other suggestions? I still would like to know how I can make
    > > Windows XP save settings THEN close network connections. If anyone out
    > > there knows how to do this, please post.

    > DNS (reverse) Problems cause some errors on XP when 2k is ok. Is WINS
    > enabled?

    Hello,

    Thanks for the suggestion. The same server that is the PDC also runs
    DNS (Bind 8). Forward and reverse zones are appropriately set up and
    lookups work just fine. Also, WINS is enabled in smb.conf (wins
    support = Yes).

    I can't see anything out of the ordinary in the Samba log file for XP
    computer.

    Please keep the suggestions coming. I've been working with this
    problem for almost a week without any success. I need to get to the
    bottom of it soon.

    Raffi

  10. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    Does the userenv log show anything (%windir%\Debug\UserMode\userenv.log).

    Type userenv in Help while online to see how to switch on verbose mode (but try without to begin with).

    You can get a description of error numbers that are Win32 (those which aren't like this - 80072086) by typing
    net helpmsg

    Use calculator in science mode to convert.

    There will be lots of errors as windows tests stuff (does file exist?) It tell if it exists by the absense of an error (or error 0). But it may not exist on every configuration so it's not a real error.
    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "Raffi" wrote in message news:fe5b2bad.0404280100.18630694@posting.google.c om...
    > "Pertti Kosunen" wrote in message news:...
    > > "Raffi" wrote in message
    > > news:fe5b2bad.0404262343.606d44ab@posting.google.c om...
    > > > OK, I tried logging on with offline caching disabled in Samba (csc
    > > > policy = disable) and it didn't solve the problem. I'm not surprised
    > > > by this since the machine still tried to save the profile settings
    > > > after closing the network connections.
    > > >
    > > > Any other suggestions? I still would like to know how I can make
    > > > Windows XP save settings THEN close network connections. If anyone out
    > > > there knows how to do this, please post.

    > > DNS (reverse) Problems cause some errors on XP when 2k is ok. Is WINS
    > > enabled?

    > Hello,
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. The same server that is the PDC also runs
    > DNS (Bind 8). Forward and reverse zones are appropriately set up and
    > lookups work just fine. Also, WINS is enabled in smb.conf (wins
    > support = Yes).
    >
    > I can't see anything out of the ordinary in the Samba log file for XP
    > computer.
    >
    > Please keep the suggestions coming. I've been working with this
    > problem for almost a week without any success. I need to get to the
    > bottom of it soon.
    >
    > Raffi

  11. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    David,

    Thanks for the post. I have attached a portion of my userenv.log file.
    The rest is just a repeat. As for turning verbose mode on, I searched
    while in help and got directed to this document which is for the 2000
    server.

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...e/gptshoot.doc

    The registry keys referenced for turning verbose on could not be found
    in my XP registry.

    I laso tried renaming the profile directory on the Samba PDC to give
    windows a chance to re-save the profile, just in case the profile
    itself was corrupt. When I logged on, XP created the profile directory
    during startup but during shutdown it didn't save the actual profile
    in the directory. I have done this procedure in the past and it
    results in the user profile directory and all the settings (directory
    contents) being resaved during shutdown. It didn't happen this time.

    Again, this makes perfect sense to me since XP is closing network
    connections before attempting to save the profile. Once the network
    connection is closed, there is no way of saving the profile on the
    PDC.

    Is there a registry key that controls the shutdown process so the
    order can be changed? There must be something somewhere telling XP to
    close network connections before saving settings. Where is
    it??????????

    Raffi

    ---------------userenv.log---------------
    USERENV(2dc.2e0) 12:46:42:140 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref
    Count is not 0
    USERENV(2dc.2e0) 12:46:42:156 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref
    Count is not 0
    USERENV(2dc.2e0) 12:46:42:156 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref
    Count is not 0
    USERENV(2dc.2e0) 12:46:42:156 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref
    Count is not 0
    USERENV(2dc.2e0) 12:46:42:156 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref
    Count is not 0
    USERENV(308.30c) 12:46:44:203 UnloadUserProfile: received a NULL
    hProfile.
    USERENV(308.30c) 12:46:44:796 UnloadUserProfile: received a NULL
    hProfile.
    USERENV(2dc.2e0) 12:48:57:890 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(314.35c) 12:48:57:937 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(314.35c) 12:48:57:937 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(314.35c) 12:48:59:984 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(2dc.2e0) 12:49:02:156 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(2dc.2f4) 12:49:03:156 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(27c.280) 12:49:11:500 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(3f4.4e0) 12:49:16:015 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(2dc.300) 12:49:17:718 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(3f4.510) 12:49:18:984 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(c58.c5c) 12:52:27:687 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(d44.d48) 12:52:53:234 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(dac.ddc) 12:53:12:046 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    USERENV(dac.ddc) 12:53:12:390 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx

    "David Candy" wrote in message news:...
    > Does the userenv log show anything
    > (%windir%\Debug\UserMode\userenv.log).
    >
    > Type userenv in Help while online to see how to switch on verbose mode
    > (but try without to begin with).
    >
    > You can get a description of error numbers that are Win32 (those which
    > aren't like this - 80072086) by typing
    > net helpmsg
    >
    > Use calculator in science mode to convert.
    >
    > There will be lots of errors as windows tests stuff (does file exist?)
    > It tell if it exists by the absense of an error (or error 0). But it may
    > not exist on every configuration so it's not a real error.
    > --
    > And the band played ....
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    > "Raffi" wrote in message
    > news:fe5b2bad.0404280100.18630694@posting.google.c om...
    > > "Pertti Kosunen" wrote in

    > message news:...
    > > > "Raffi" wrote in message
    > > > news:fe5b2bad.0404262343.606d44ab@posting.google.c om...

    > surprised

    > out
    > > >
    > > > DNS (reverse) Problems cause some errors on XP when 2k is ok. Is

    > WINS
    > > > enabled?

    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the suggestion. The same server that is the PDC also runs
    > > DNS (Bind 8). Forward and reverse zones are appropriately set up and
    > > lookups work just fine. Also, WINS is enabled in smb.conf (wins
    > > support = Yes).
    > >
    > > I can't see anything out of the ordinary in the Samba log file for XP
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > Please keep the suggestions coming. I've been working with this
    > > problem for almost a week without any success. I need to get to the
    > > bottom of it soon.
    > >
    > > Raffi

  12. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    On 28 Apr 2004 13:31:49 -0700, thegrizzzly@yahoo.com (Raffi) wrote:

    >I laso tried renaming the profile directory on the Samba PDC to give
    >windows a chance to re-save the profile, just in case the profile
    >itself was corrupt. When I logged on, XP created the profile directory
    >during startup but during shutdown it didn't save the actual profile
    >in the directory. I have done this procedure in the past and it
    >results in the user profile directory and all the settings (directory
    >contents) being resaved during shutdown. It didn't happen this time.
    >
    >Again, this makes perfect sense to me since XP is closing network
    >connections before attempting to save the profile. Once the network
    >connection is closed, there is no way of saving the profile on the
    >PDC.

    I'm absolutely puzzled by yr setup .. I've installed XP out-of-the-box
    on 15 machines with a samba server and all profiles get updated as
    expected. I've never seen that the network connections get closed
    before the updates .. In fact I've not even created the users on the
    individual XP machines ie the users only exist on the XP node by the
    grace of the samba PDC. Logging in with any user iD when not connected
    to the domain (aka local logins) thus simply fails ..
    I'm curious to see what the solution is.

  13. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    Turn on verbose logging and mail me the whole log.
    XP (NT5.1) is a minor upgrade to 2000 (NT5.0). You have to ADD (as the KB said) the registry values.

    That said in every case I solved profile problems it was always security related. Usually some stupid unimportant thing (like a temp file).
    "Raffi" wrote in message news:fe5b2bad.0404281231.52c5e5a6@posting.google.c om...
> [...]
    > > And the band played ....
    > > http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    > > "Raffi" wrote in message
    > > news:fe5b2bad.0404280100.18630694@posting.google.c om...
    > > > "Pertti Kosunen" wrote in

    > > message news:...

    > > surprised

    > > out

    > > WINS
    > > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for the suggestion. The same server that is the PDC also runs
    > > > DNS (Bind 8). Forward and reverse zones are appropriately set up and
    > > > lookups work just fine. Also, WINS is enabled in smb.conf (wins
    > > > support = Yes).
    > > >
    > > > I can't see anything out of the ordinary in the Samba log file for XP
    > > > computer.
    > > >
    > > > Please keep the suggestions coming. I've been working with this
    > > > problem for almost a week without any success. I need to get to the

  14. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    David, I e-mailed you this but I'm posting it as well for everyone
    else's benefit.
    David,

    I made the following addition to the registry per the Microsoft
    document to turn on verbose event logging:

    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics"

    I added a REG_DWORD with a value name of

    "RunDiagnosticLoggingGroupPolicy"

    and a value data of "1"

    I then cycled the PC off and on 3 times. I have attached the complete
    %windir%\Debug\UserMode\userenv.log.

    I have also attached the %windir%\Debug\NetSetup.log. I have revised
    the file for privacy and renamed it NetSetup.txt.

    I also tried renaming the user directory under windows (while logged
    into a local account) and had Windows recreate the roaming user's
    directory and settings and had the same results. ie, Windows created a
    default profile locally, created the user profile directory on the
    Samba PDC but failed to save any profile information in the directory.
    It still kept closing the network connections before saving settings.
    I tried this thinking maybe there was something in the profile itself
    which was screwing things up.

    Let me know if you need more information

    Thanks for your help,

    Raffi

    "David Candy" wrote in message news:<##CSpfdLEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> [...]

    > > USERENV(dac.ddc) 12:53:12:390 GetUserDNSDomainName: MyGetUserNameEx
    > > failed for NameDnsDomain style name with 1332
    > >

    > > "David Candy" wrote in message

    > > > Does the userenv log show anything
    > > > (%windir%\Debug\UserMode\userenv.log).
    > > >
    > > > Type userenv in Help while online to see how to switch on verbose

    > mode
    > > > (but try without to begin with).
    > > >
    > > > You can get a description of error numbers that are Win32 (those

    > which
    > > > aren't like this - 80072086) by typing
    > > > net helpmsg
    > > >
    > > > Use calculator in science mode to convert.
    > > >
    > > > There will be lots of errors as windows tests stuff (does file

    > exist?)
    > > > It tell if it exists by the absense of an error (or error 0). But it

    > may
    > > > not exist on every configuration so it's not a real error.

  15. Re: Please Read - Windows XP and Roaming Profiles

    BTW, here's the relevant portion of the NetSetup.log in case anyone
    else can identify anything and make suggestions.

    ---------------------NetSetup.log---------------------
    05/02 22:24:24 -----------------------------------------------------------------
    05/02 22:24:24 NetpValidateName: checking to see if '**DOMAIN**' is
    valid as type 2 name
    05/02 22:24:24 NetpCheckNetBiosNameNotInUse for '**DOMAIN**' [
    **domain** as MACHINE] returned 0x0
    05/02 22:24:24 NetpValidateName: name '**DOMAIN**' is valid for type 2
    05/02 22:24:32 -----------------------------------------------------------------
    05/02 22:24:32 NetpUnJoinDomain: unjoin from '**DOMAIN**' using
    '**DOMAIN**\root' creds, options: 0x4
    05/02 22:24:32 OS Version: 5.1
    05/02 22:24:32 Build number: 2600
    05/02 22:24:32 ServicePack: Service Pack 1
    05/02 22:24:32 NetpUnJoinDomain: status of getting computer name: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:32 NetpApplyJoinState: actions: 0x2b805a
    05/02 22:24:32 NetpDsGetDcName: trying to find DC in domain
    '**DOMAIN**', flags: 0x1020
    05/02 22:24:32 NetpDsGetDcName: found DC '\\**PDC**' in the specified
    domain
    05/02 22:24:32 NetUseAdd to \\**PDC**\IPC$ returned 1219
    05/02 22:24:32 Trying add to \\**PDC**\IPC$ using NULL Session
    05/02 22:24:32 NetpApplyJoinState: status of connecting to dc
    '\\**PDC**': 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpApplyJoinState: status of stopping and setting
    start type of Netlogon to 16: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpLsaOpenSecret: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpLsaOpenSecret: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpApplyJoinState: account not disabled since we are
    talking to NT4 dc
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpSetLsaPrimaryDomain: for '**DOMAIN**' status: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpApplyJoinState: status of setting LSA pri. domain:
    0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpApplyJoinState: status of clearing
    ComputerNamePhysicalDnsDomain: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpApplyJoinState: status of removing from local
    groups: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpUpdateW32timeConfig: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpApplyJoinState: NON FATAL: status of removing DNS
    registrations: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpApplyJoinState: status of disconnecting from
    '\\**PDC**': 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpUnJoinDomain: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 -----------------------------------------------------------------
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpDoDomainJoin
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpMachineValidToJoin: '**MACHINE**'
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpMachineValidToJoin: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpJoin**domain**: joining computer '**MACHINE**' to
    **domain** '**DOMAIN**'
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpValidateName: checking to see if '**DOMAIN**' is
    valid as type 2 name
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpCheckNetBiosNameNotInUse for '**DOMAIN**' [
    **domain** as MACHINE] returned 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpValidateName: name '**DOMAIN**' is valid for type 2
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpSetLsaPrimaryDomain: for '**DOMAIN**' status: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpJoin**domain**: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:24:33 NetpDoDomainJoin: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:30 -----------------------------------------------------------------
    05/02 22:27:30 NetpValidateName: checking to see if '**DOMAIN**' is
    valid as type 3 name
    05/02 22:27:30 NetpCheckDomainNameIsValid [ Exists ] for '**DOMAIN**'
    returned 0x0
    05/02 22:27:30 NetpValidateName: name '**DOMAIN**' is valid for type 3
    05/02 22:27:34 -----------------------------------------------------------------
    05/02 22:27:34 NetpDoDomainJoin
    05/02 22:27:34 NetpMachineValidToJoin: '**MACHINE**'
    05/02 22:27:34 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:34 NetpMachineValidToJoin: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:34 NetpJoinDomain
    05/02 22:27:34 Machine: **MACHINE**
    05/02 22:27:34 Domain: **DOMAIN**
    05/02 22:27:34 MachineAccountOU: (NULL)
    05/02 22:27:34 Account: **DOMAIN**\root
    05/02 22:27:34 OS Version: 5.1
    05/02 22:27:34 Build number: 2600
    05/02 22:27:34 ServicePack: Service Pack 1
    05/02 22:27:34 NetpValidateName: checking to see if '**DOMAIN**' is
    valid as type 3 name
    05/02 22:27:34 NetpCheckDomainNameIsValid [ Exists ] for '**DOMAIN**'
    returned 0x0
    05/02 22:27:34 NetpValidateName: name '**DOMAIN**' is valid for type 3
    05/02 22:27:34 NetpDsGetDcName: trying to find DC in domain
    '**DOMAIN**', flags: 0x1020
    05/02 22:27:42 NetpDsGetDcName: found DC '\\**PDC**' in the specified
    domain
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpJoinDomain: status of connecting to dc '\\**PDC**':
    0x0
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpGetNt4RefusePasswordChangeStatus: trying to read
    from '\\**PDC**'
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpGetNt4RefusePasswordChangeStatus: failed but
    ignored the failure: 0xc000000f
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpLsaOpenSecret: status: 0xc0000034
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpLsaOpenSecret: status: 0xc0000034
    05/02 22:27:49 Failed to validate machine account for **MACHINE**
    against \\**PDC**: 0xc000006d
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpJoinDomain: w9x: status of validating account:
    0x52e
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpJoinDomain: initiaing a rollback due to earlier
    errors
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpLsaOpenSecret: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpJoinDomain: rollback: status of deleting secret:
    0x0
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpJoinDomain: status of disconnecting from
    '\\**PDC**': 0x0
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpDoDomainJoin: status: 0x52e
    05/02 22:27:49 -----------------------------------------------------------------
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpDoDomainJoin
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpMachineValidToJoin: '**MACHINE**'
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpMachineValidToJoin: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpJoinDomain
    05/02 22:27:49 Machine: **MACHINE**
    05/02 22:27:49 Domain: **DOMAIN**
    05/02 22:27:49 MachineAccountOU: (NULL)
    05/02 22:27:49 Account: **DOMAIN**\root
    05/02 22:27:49 OS Version: 5.1
    05/02 22:27:49 Build number: 2600
    05/02 22:27:49 ServicePack: Service Pack 1
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpValidateName: checking to see if '**DOMAIN**' is
    valid as type 3 name
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpCheckDomainNameIsValid [ Exists ] for '**DOMAIN**'
    returned 0x0
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpValidateName: name '**DOMAIN**' is valid for type 3
    05/02 22:27:49 NetpDsGetDcName: trying to find DC in domain
    '**DOMAIN**', flags: 0x1020
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpDsGetDcName: found DC '\\**PDC**' in the specified
    domain
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpJoinDomain: status of connecting to dc '\\**PDC**':
    0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpGetNt4RefusePasswordChangeStatus: trying to read
    from '\\**PDC**'
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpGetNt4RefusePasswordChangeStatus: failed but
    ignored the failure: 0xc000000f
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpLsaOpenSecret: status: 0xc0000034
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpLsaOpenSecret: status: 0xc0000034
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpManageMachineAccountWithSid: NetUserAdd on
    '\\**PDC**' for '**MACHINE**$' failed: 0x8b0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpManageMachineAccountWithSid: status of attempting
    to set password on '\\**PDC**' for '**MACHINE**$': 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpJoinDomain: status of creating account: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpSetLsaPrimaryDomain: for '**DOMAIN**' status: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpJoinDomain: status of setting LSA pri. domain: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpJoinDomain: status of managing local groups: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpJoinDomain: status of setting netlogon cache: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpJoinDomain: status of clearing
    ComputerNamePhysicalDnsDomain: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpUpdateW32timeConfig: 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpJoinDomain: status of disconnecting from
    '\\**PDC**': 0x0
    05/02 22:27:50 NetpDoDomainJoin: status: 0x0

+ Reply to Thread