Help! - need to Start multiple samba smbd/nmbd daemons - SMB

This is a discussion on Help! - need to Start multiple samba smbd/nmbd daemons - SMB ; We're trying to dual home samba onto 2 windows domains. We're created 2 separate smb.conf files each having it's own domain specific info. The only differences between them are - different workgroups - different interfaces to bind too - different ...

  1. Help! - need to Start multiple samba smbd/nmbd daemons

    We're trying to dual home samba onto 2 windows domains. We're created
    2 separate smb.conf files each having it's own domain specific info.
    The only differences between them are
    - different workgroups
    - different interfaces to bind too
    - different socket addressees (matches the interface)
    - and different WINS server IPs.

    We are using the security = domain model.

    We've successfully joined each domain by swapping in the applicable
    smb.conf file and then running the smbpasswd command to join the
    domain ... both came back successful.

    Now we're trying to start the smbd and nmbd daemons by using the -s
    switch to bind each daemon to a specific interface by pointing to the
    applicable smb.conf file
    (ie. /opt/samba/bin/nmbd -D -s /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf.engdev)
    however it looks like we can only start one smbd or nmbd daemon at a
    time as only one .pid lock file is allowed.
    Ref smbd log file output:
    [2004/04/23 12:35:57, 0] smbd/server.c793)
    smbd version 2.2.8a based HP CIFS Server A.01.10 started.
    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2002
    [2004/04/23 12:35:57, 0] lib/pidfile.c85)
    ERROR: smbd is already running. File /var/opt/samba/locks/smbd.pid
    exists and process id 25569 is running.

    Is there a way to start multiple smbd/nmbd daemons so that we can
    multi-home samba? We're running HPUX 11.11 with Samba 2.2.8

    Any help appreciated
    Regards
    Norman Dignard

  2. Re: Help! - need to Start multiple samba smbd/nmbd daemons

    Hi,

    > Ref smbd log file output:
    > [2004/04/23 12:35:57, 0] smbd/server.c793)
    > smbd version 2.2.8a based HP CIFS Server A.01.10 started.
    > Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2002
    > [2004/04/23 12:35:57, 0] lib/pidfile.c85)
    > ERROR: smbd is already running. File /var/opt/samba/locks/smbd.pid
    > exists and process id 25569 is running.

    You can specifiy the dir for PID-file in each smb.conf file afaik.
    I've found these lines on a smb.conf doc website:

    It names the corresponding parameter of smb.conf GLOBAL section.....

    pid directory (G)

    This option specifies the directory where pid files will be placed.

    Default: pid directory = ${prefix}/var/locks

    Example: pid directory = /var/run/

    HTH

    Ralf

+ Reply to Thread