Windows not seeing linux Samba shares - SMB

This is a discussion on Windows not seeing linux Samba shares - SMB ; I am running Mandrake Linux 9.2 with Samba 2.2.8a. My linux box has full access to my windows shares, drives & printers. My linux box has full access to my linux shares, drives & printers. My windows box, win2k, finds ...

  1. Windows not seeing linux Samba shares

    I am running Mandrake Linux 9.2 with Samba 2.2.8a.

    My linux box has full access to my windows shares, drives & printers. My
    linux box has full access to my linux shares, drives & printers.

    My windows box, win2k, finds the computer when I search for it, but doesn't
    display it in MyNetowkrs. When I search for it and then log in, it rejects
    my user account. (Same account that is accepted on linux box.)

    Any suggestions? Thanks,

    Carolyn

  2. Re: Windows not seeing linux Samba shares

    Carolyn Marenger wrote:

    > I am running Mandrake Linux 9.2 with Samba 2.2.8a.
    >
    > My linux box has full access to my windows shares, drives & printers. My
    > linux box has full access to my linux shares, drives & printers.
    >
    > My windows box, win2k, finds the computer when I search for it, but doesn't
    > display it in MyNetowkrs. When I search for it and then log in, it rejects
    > my user account. (Same account that is accepted on linux box.)
    >
    > Any suggestions? Thanks,
    >
    > Carolyn

    In your smb.conf add:

    [global]
    encrypt passwords =yes

    This parameter is needed as Win2000 uses encrypted passwords.

    You will also need to add a samba user and password.

    See my web page for help...

    I assume that your shares are set
    browesable =yes

    ie:
    [myshare]
    path = /data/here
    browseable =yes

    This will allow the shares to be visible in My Network Places.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

  3. Re: Windows not seeing linux Samba shares

    Carolyn Marenger wrote:
    > I am running Mandrake Linux 9.2 with Samba 2.2.8a.
    >
    > My linux box has full access to my windows shares, drives & printers. My
    > linux box has full access to my linux shares, drives & printers.
    >
    > My windows box, win2k, finds the computer when I search for it, but doesn't
    > display it in MyNetowkrs. When I search for it and then log in, it rejects
    > my user account. (Same account that is accepted on linux box.)
    >
    > Any suggestions? Thanks,
    >
    > Carolyn

    open /etc/samba.smb.conf and somewhere at the end is to have it broadcaat

+ Reply to Thread