Samba 2.2.5 - Windows sees only 493MB regardless of max disk size setting - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 2.2.5 - Windows sees only 493MB regardless of max disk size setting - SMB ; I have Samba 2.2.5 running on Redhat Linux 8. Everything seems to be running fine except that my Windows machines, a Windows XP and a Windows 2000, both reported the disk size to be only 493MB (571,734,400 bytes). If I ...

  1. Samba 2.2.5 - Windows sees only 493MB regardless of max disk size setting

    I have Samba 2.2.5 running on Redhat Linux 8. Everything seems to be
    running fine except that my Windows machines, a Windows XP and a
    Windows 2000, both reported the disk size to be only 493MB
    (571,734,400 bytes). If I tried to copy a large amount of data to the
    'network drive', Windows would barf with disk full message.

    I tried setting the [global] max disk size parameter to no avail.

    Looking at the network drive properties reveals the following:
    Samba 2.2.5
    Windows NT 4.5 Server

    Did I miss anything in the Samba setup, or is it a Windows SMB client
    issue? Any help is appreciated.

    Ben

  2. Re: Samba 2.2.5 - Windows sees only 493MB regardless of max disk size setting

    ben3664@yahoo.com (Ben) wrote in message news:<6cc642ff.0404221105.691a8ab5@posting.google.com>...
    > I have Samba 2.2.5 running on Redhat Linux 8. Everything seems to be
    > running fine except that my Windows machines, a Windows XP and a
    > Windows 2000, both reported the disk size to be only 493MB
    > (571,734,400 bytes). If I tried to copy a large amount of data to the
    > 'network drive', Windows would barf with disk full message.
    >
    > I tried setting the [global] max disk size parameter to no avail.
    >
    > Looking at the network drive properties reveals the following:
    > Samba 2.2.5
    > Windows NT 4.5 Server
    >
    > Did I miss anything in the Samba setup, or is it a Windows SMB client
    > issue? Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Ben

    I double checked the definition of max disk size and came to realize
    that max disk size = 0 by default, and with that Samba will report the
    actual size of the disk size of the share. I am at a loss as to why
    Windows 2K/XP sees only 493MB of the share, which is on a disk of
    120GB.

    Can someone shed some light on this. Thanks.

    Ben

+ Reply to Thread