Must be clueless... Where did smb get installed???? - SMB

This is a discussion on Must be clueless... Where did smb get installed???? - SMB ; So I have been using samba to allow me to access shares on a Windows machine and now I need to share on my machine. Only I can't find smb or anything else. The installation is in my /home/robert/samba directory ...

  1. Must be clueless... Where did smb get installed????

    So I have been using samba to allow me to access shares on a Windows
    machine and now I need to share on my machine. Only I can't find smb
    or anything else. The installation is in my /home/robert/samba
    directory and this contains all the source and other files that came
    with the samba source download that I used for my system. Then there
    is a /etc/samba directory which holds the smb.conf and lmhost files.
    And finally there is the /usr/local/bin directory which contains a
    bunch of smbspool and others. But I can't find anything that will
    allow me to start samba so that I may share files. I have looked in
    /etc/rc.d/init.d, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin, usr/bin, usr/sbin

    And nowhere can I find the utilities that I need to use samba to share
    files. I am currently running samba-3.0.2a. I guess if I can't find
    it then I will have to hunt down a samba RPM for a redhat 7.2 kernel.

    Please help, I hate installing things so many times.

  2. Re: Must be clueless... Where did smb get installed????

    On 21 Apr 2004 14:04:10 -0700,
    PullnOutHair , in
    wrote:

    >+ So I have been using samba to allow me to access shares on a Windows
    >+ machine and now I need to share on my machine.

    >+ And finally there is the /usr/local/bin directory which contains a
    >+ bunch of smbspool and others. But I can't find anything that will
    >+ allow me to start samba so that I may share files. I have looked in
    >+ /etc/rc.d/init.d, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin, usr/bin, usr/sbin

    The files of importance are smbd and nmbd, try "locate smbd" and/or
    "locate nmbd".

    Of course, if you're mounting a Windows share, you don't *need* to
    have the server installed, just the client software.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: Must be clueless... Where did smb get installed????

    Hi,

    > The files of importance are smbd and nmbd, try "locate smbd" and/or
    > "locate nmbd".

    Yes, that's right. The netBIOS name server daemon is called nmbd and the
    samba server itself is called smbd.

    Well if you have these files installed, you can start ther servers with:

    nmbd -D
    smbd -D

    Both proggies will start in daemon mode and read the default smb.conf
    for setting up all the samba stuff.
    So there's one issue: what is the location of the default smb.conf used?
    Well this is specified at compile time. So it may not be (in fact it
    usually is not) /etc/samba/smb.conf.

    Anyway, both nmbd and smbd have command line switches to tell them which
    smb.conf to use. I don't have them in mind, so see 'man smbd'......

    All this is usually done be a /etc/init.d/-script specific for your distro.
    In Suse you can call it by 'rcnmbd '/'rcsmbd '
    where COMMAND can be start|stop|reload|restart.
    In Debian it's (i think) /etc/init.d/samba .
    I'm sorry i don't know it in the case of RedHat.

    HTH

    Ralf

+ Reply to Thread