RedHat 9 and Samaba 3 - SMB

This is a discussion on RedHat 9 and Samaba 3 - SMB ; Hey group, I wonderer if somebody could point me in the right direction? I`ve just installed Redhat 9.0 and the Samba 3 RPM. I would like to be able to have my Linux machine access shares on my Windows 2000 ...

  1. RedHat 9 and Samaba 3

    Hey group,

    I wonderer if somebody could point me in the right direction?

    I`ve just installed Redhat 9.0 and the Samba 3 RPM.

    I would like to be able to have my Linux machine access shares on my Windows
    2000 Active Directory network.

    Nothing fancy just the ability to browse shares, like i said i`ve installed
    the Samba 3 PRMs but now im stuck as to what to do next

    Any ideas or pointers?

    Many Thanks
    MCN

  2. Re: RedHat 9 and Samaba 3

    Hi,

    > I wonderer if somebody could point me in the right direction?
    >
    > I`ve just installed Redhat 9.0 and the Samba 3 RPM.
    >
    > I would like to be able to have my Linux machine access shares on my Windows
    > 2000 Active Directory network.
    >
    > Nothing fancy just the ability to browse shares, like i said i`ve installed
    > the Samba 3 PRMs but now im stuck as to what to do next
    >
    > Any ideas or pointers?

    Well, if you want to use Windows-Shares on your Linux box,
    you have to mount them into your file system.

    The samba-RPM may (or should) include a program named
    "smbclient".
    Maybe it's in a separate package, but i don't know how things are
    in the RedHat distro.

    Ok, anyway, a good point to start are the following man-pages:

    .......for Linux access to Win-shares/other Linux shares

    man smbclient (std.-client to mount SMB-shares)

    .......for access to Linux shares

    man smb.conf (samba server config file)

    man smbd (the samba server)

    man nmbd (the NetBIOS name server)

    There are some how-to's, maybe in /usr/doc/samba or
    whereever your doc tree may be located.

    HTH

    Ralf

  3. Re: RedHat 9 and Samaba 3

    MadCrazyNewbie wrote:
    > Hey group,
    >
    > I wonderer if somebody could point me in the right direction?
    >
    > I`ve just installed Redhat 9.0 and the Samba 3 RPM.
    >
    > I would like to be able to have my Linux machine access shares on my Windows
    > 2000 Active Directory network.
    >
    > Nothing fancy just the ability to browse shares, like i said i`ve installed
    > the Samba 3 PRMs but now im stuck as to what to do next
    >
    > Any ideas or pointers?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > MCN

    Take a look at my samba webpage

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

  4. Re: RedHat 9 and Samaba 3

    Thanks for you help, but im trying to get this Linux machine to Access
    Shares on my windows network, such as \\testsrv1\share, \\testsrv2\music etc
    etc

    I don`t need to share anything on the linux box, just be able to access
    shares on our windows 2000 network.

    Is there a GUI which will help me set all this up? and browse the network?
    something like Network Neighbourhood in Windows 2000?

    Any links or reading?

    Many Thanks
    Si

    "MadCrazyNewbie" wrote in message
    > Hey group,
    >
    > I wonderer if somebody could point me in the right direction?
    >
    > I`ve just installed Redhat 9.0 and the Samba 3 RPM.
    >
    > I would like to be able to have my Linux machine access shares on my

    Windows
    > 2000 Active Directory network.
    >
    > Nothing fancy just the ability to browse shares, like i said i`ve

    installed
    > the Samba 3 PRMs but now im stuck as to what to do next
    >
    > Any ideas or pointers?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > MCN

  5. Re: RedHat 9 and Samaba 3

    Hi,

    > Is there a GUI which will help me set all this up? and browse the network?
    > something like Network Neighbourhood in Windows 2000?

    I think there is some look-a-like replacement for Win NetNeighbourhood in Linux.
    AFAIK it's called "LinNeighbourhood".
    But i don't know it myself.

    You may want to try this. Maybe your distro has an RPM ready for you.

    If you just want to mount your Win-shares, just use smbclient.
    You should consult the man-pages on this topic.

    Ciao

    Ralf

  6. Re: RedHat 9 and Samaba 3

    MadCrazyNewbie wrote:
    > Thanks for you help, but im trying to get this Linux machine to Access
    > Shares on my windows network, such as \\testsrv1\share, \\testsrv2\music etc
    > etc
    >
    > I don`t need to share anything on the linux box, just be able to access
    > shares on our windows 2000 network.
    >
    > Is there a GUI which will help me set all this up? and browse the network?
    > something like Network Neighbourhood in Windows 2000?
    >
    > Any links or reading?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > Si
    >
    > "MadCrazyNewbie" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hey group,
    >>
    >>I wonderer if somebody could point me in the right direction?
    >>
    >>I`ve just installed Redhat 9.0 and the Samba 3 RPM.
    >>
    >>I would like to be able to have my Linux machine access shares on my

    > Windows
    >
    >>2000 Active Directory network.
    >>
    >>Nothing fancy just the ability to browse shares, like i said i`ve

    > installed
    >
    >>the Samba 3 PRMs but now im stuck as to what to do next
    >>
    >>Any ideas or pointers?
    >>
    >>Many Thanks
    >>MCN

    I guess you did not take the time to look here....
    http://www.samba.netfirms.com/linnei...ighborhood.htm

    --
    Regards,
    Mark