What do I need to change? "access denied" from win98 side to linux - SMB

This is a discussion on What do I need to change? "access denied" from win98 side to linux - SMB ; Hi, I have been trying to set up Samba_swat. I have gone to the point where in win98 my linux box shows up. However when I doubleclick on it gives the following messege. \\Pen2 is not accessible The computer or ...

  1. What do I need to change? "access denied" from win98 side to linux

    Hi,
    I have been trying to set up Samba_swat.
    I have gone to the point where in win98 my linux box shows up.
    However when I doubleclick on it gives the following messege.

    \\Pen2 is not accessible
    The computer or share name could not be found. Make sure you typed it in
    correctly, and try again.

    I have checked but I guess I am missing something.

    The win98 box is " iwill".
    I am a user on " iwill " user name " ed ".
    The linux computer name is " pen2 ". This is what is entered in under
    NetBios name in the swat configure.
    The sharename is " ed "
    The share folder is " /home/ed "
    I am user on " pen2 " with the name " ed ".
    I have added thru Swat a user named " ed ".
    I have a password that is the same one that is used on win98 as the user
    network sign on.
    The pass word consists of 3 letters 2 number and 3 letters.

    The share folder is one that I added when I add the user eded to the
    linux system. Then I create the samba user " ed ".

    If you want I can post my smb.conf
    Can you tell me what I am missing.
    Thanks

  2. Re: What do I need to change? "access denied" from win98 side tolinux

    gargoyle wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have been trying to set up Samba_swat.
    > I have gone to the point where in win98 my linux box shows up.
    > However when I doubleclick on it gives the following messege.
    >
    > \\Pen2 is not accessible
    > The computer or share name could not be found. Make sure you typed it in
    > correctly, and try again.
    >

    > I have checked but I guess I am missing something.
    >
    > The win98 box is " iwill".
    > I am a user on " iwill " user name " ed ".
    > The linux computer name is " pen2 ". This is what is entered in under
    > NetBios name in the swat configure.
    > The sharename is " ed "
    > The share folder is " /home/ed "
    > I am user on " pen2 " with the name " ed ".
    > I have added thru Swat a user named " ed ".
    > I have a password that is the same one that is used on win98 as the user
    > network sign on.
    > The pass word consists of 3 letters 2 number and 3 letters.
    >
    > The share folder is one that I added when I add the user eded to the
    > linux system. Then I create the samba user " ed ".
    >
    > If you want I can post my smb.conf
    > Can you tell me what I am missing.
    > Thanks

    Post your smb.conf.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

  3. Re: What do I need to change? "access denied" from win98 side tolinux

    gargoyle wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have been trying to set up Samba_swat.
    > I have gone to the point where in win98 my linux box shows up.
    > However when I doubleclick on it gives the following messege.
    >
    > \\Pen2 is not accessible
    > The computer or share name could not be found. Make sure you typed it in
    > correctly, and try again.
    >

    > I have checked but I guess I am missing something.
    >
    > The win98 box is " iwill".
    > I am a user on " iwill " user name " ed ".
    > The linux computer name is " pen2 ". This is what is entered in under
    > NetBios name in the swat configure.
    > The sharename is " ed "
    > The share folder is " /home/ed "
    > I am user on " pen2 " with the name " ed ".
    > I have added thru Swat a user named " ed ".
    > I have a password that is the same one that is used on win98 as the user
    > network sign on.
    > The pass word consists of 3 letters 2 number and 3 letters.
    >
    > The share folder is one that I added when I add the user eded to the
    > linux system. Then I create the samba user " ed ".
    >
    > If you want I can post my smb.conf
    > Can you tell me what I am missing.
    > Thanks

    my guess is you didn't add the password with smbpasswd

  4. Re: What do I need to change? "access denied" from win98 side to linux

    I would say that you need to make sure your netbios name is correct.
    Try from you linux terminal:
    check your smb.conf with testparm
    fix errors.
    Then
    smbclient -L //servername -Uusername%passwd

    That may say something about your network name.

+ Reply to Thread