Third party windows file sharing? - SMB

This is a discussion on Third party windows file sharing? - SMB ; I am currently using file/print sharing on an XP Home box that serves as a file server to several other PCs at my home as well as running a home automation server. I have run into the 5-client limitation and ...

  1. Third party windows file sharing?

    I am currently using file/print sharing on an XP Home box that serves
    as a file server to several other PCs at my home as well as running a
    home automation server. I have run into the 5-client limitation and
    need to find a way of sharing several drives over the network to
    additional clients.

    I've considered setting up a Linux fileserver or using an appliance
    like the USR8200 Secure Storage Router with external firewire drives.
    However, I would still need to maintain the XP Home box to run my home
    automation server.

    I've also considered upgrading to XP Pro for 10 clients but I just
    don't like the idea of having any license limitations.

    Is there any way to run Samba or another free/inexpensive file server
    on Windows that can serve unlimited clients? Can I downgrade to Win98
    for unlimited file sharing clients?

    Thanks,
    Alan

  2. Re: Third party windows file sharing?

    This space for rent wrote:

    > I am currently using file/print sharing on an XP Home box that serves
    > as a file server to several other PCs at my home as well as running a
    > home automation server. I have run into the 5-client limitation and
    > need to find a way of sharing several drives over the network to
    > additional clients.
    >
    > I've considered setting up a Linux fileserver or using an appliance
    > like the USR8200 Secure Storage Router with external firewire drives.
    > However, I would still need to maintain the XP Home box to run my home
    > automation server.
    >
    > I've also considered upgrading to XP Pro for 10 clients but I just
    > don't like the idea of having any license limitations.

    Run Linux and Samba

    > Is there any way to run Samba or another free/inexpensive file server
    > on Windows that can serve unlimited clients?

    No, see above.

    > Can I downgrade to Win98
    > for unlimited file sharing clients?

    Only you can answer this question...

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

  3. Re: Third party windows file sharing?

    This space for rent wrote:

    > I am currently using file/print sharing on an XP Home box that serves
    > as a file server to several other PCs at my home as well as running a
    > home automation server. I have run into the 5-client limitation and
    > need to find a way of sharing several drives over the network to
    > additional clients.

    That's what happens when you consort with the dark side.

    > I've considered setting up a Linux fileserver or using an appliance
    > like the USR8200 Secure Storage Router with external firewire drives.
    > However, I would still need to maintain the XP Home box to run my home
    > automation server.

    Wouldn't a Linux box do the job better? Since Linux is built around
    networking, you can do most things from wherever you like. This includes
    running remote GUI shells.

    > I've also considered upgrading to XP Pro for 10 clients but I just
    > don't like the idea of having any license limitations.

    That's what happens when you consort with the dark side.

    > Is there any way to run Samba or another free/inexpensive file server
    > on Windows that can serve unlimited clients? Can I downgrade to Win98
    > for unlimited file sharing clients?

    No don't bother. Install a modern Linux distro like Suse 9, the Samba
    configuration is nearly moron-proof.

    Eric.

  4. Re: Third party windows file sharing?

    Eric wrote in message news:...
    > Wouldn't a Linux box do the job better? Since Linux is built around
    > networking, you can do most things from wherever you like. This includes
    > running remote GUI shells.

    It would but I'm trying to find the easiest and cheapest solution.
    Since I need to maintain my windows box for my home automation server
    I would have to buy or build -and maintain- a new box for a Linux
    server. Also in case anyone suggests a Linux automation server I know
    that there are good ones such as Misterhouse but I am pretty tied to
    the one that I use now (CeBotics HouseBot). I'm leaning towards
    upgrading to XP Pro and living with the 10 license restriction unless
    someone can suggest an easier/cheaper way.

    Thanks,
    Alan

+ Reply to Thread