"map archive = yes" not working on samba - SMB

This is a discussion on "map archive = yes" not working on samba - SMB ; I have backup software that uses the archive bit to determine if a file has changed and needs to be backed up. I have the following in smb.conf map archive = yes directory mask = 3770 create mask = 770 ...

  1. "map archive = yes" not working on samba

    I have backup software that uses the archive bit to determine if a
    file has changed and needs to be backed up. I have the following in
    smb.conf

    map archive = yes
    directory mask = 3770
    create mask = 770
    force create mode = 770
    dos filemode = yes

    Unfortunately I cannot set the archive bit from windows XP with these
    settings. Has anyone had a similar problem?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: "map archive = yes" not working on samba

    The problem is due to your Force create mode and create mask setting
    overriding the map archive.

    'map archive = yes' uses the owners 'x' bit 'rwxrwxrwx'
    to track if the archive bit is on or off.

    if you do not use force create mode the archive bit will work.

    try using force group and write list for permission control

    john wrote:
    > *I have backup software that uses the archive bit to determine if a
    > file has changed and needs to be backed up. I have the following in
    > smb.conf
    >
    > map archive = yes
    > directory mask = 3770
    > create mask = 770
    > force create mode = 770
    > dos filemode = yes
    >
    > Unfortunately I cannot set the archive bit from windows XP wit
    > these
    > settings. Has anyone had a similar problem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    -
    rcarton