Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux - SMB ; Hi. I've spent the past day trying to get a group of computers accessing each others' shares with little success. I have two networks: a) Windows XP and 98 machines behind a USB ADSL net connection. The XP machine acts ...

  1. Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    Hi. I've spent the past day trying to get a group
    of computers accessing each others' shares with
    little success.

    I have two networks:

    a) Windows XP and 98 machines behind a USB
    ADSL net connection. The XP machine acts as
    the ICS host.

    b) Linux (with Samba installed) and Windows XP
    machines behind a cable modem.

    I want the machines on network 'a' to be able to
    access the shares on the machines on network 'b',
    as well as each machine appear in the XP/98
    Network Places.

    Each network is assigned a dynamic IP, but they're
    mapped to static addresses thanks to no-ip.org, and
    they're also (obviously) on different subnets. I think I
    understand that if I configure Linux as a WINS server
    then NetBIOS over TCP/IP should allow those
    machines on network 'a' to see those machines on
    network 'b' through Network Places.

    So far, I've had no success. I can, however, see the
    Linux shares from network 'a' via

    Net View

    but a call to smbclient -L
    fails with "Connection to failed".

    Could anyone *please* help me resolve this problem?
    I would greatly appreciate any feedback that *anyone*
    could give.

  2. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    Just Me wrote:

    > So far, I've had no success. I can, however, see the
    > Linux shares from network 'a' via
    >
    > Net View
    >
    > but a call to smbclient -L
    > fails with "Connection to failed".

    I was once before in a very similar situation. First you want to check
    that all machines can ping each other. You should try running smbclient
    with an increased debugging level.

    smbclient --debug=3 -L

    This may give you some clues as to whether it is a network, firewall, or
    a configuration issue. Are you sure your username and password are
    correct, too (looks like you didn't specify a username or password)?
    Make sure the host you are trying to connect to is allowing SMB calls
    from the host you are connecting from with the credentials you smbclient
    is providing.

    --
    Amir Malik
    http://www.unoc.net/a/ | $email =~ s/SPAMBLOCK/a/;

  3. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    Just Me wrote:

    > Hi. I've spent the past day trying to get a group
    > of computers accessing each others' shares with
    > little success.
    >
    > I have two networks:
    >
    > a) Windows XP and 98 machines behind a USB
    > ADSL net connection. The XP machine acts as
    > the ICS host.
    >
    > b) Linux (with Samba installed) and Windows XP
    > machines behind a cable modem.
    >
    > I want the machines on network 'a' to be able to
    > access the shares on the machines on network 'b',
    > as well as each machine appear in the XP/98
    > Network Places.
    >
    > Each network is assigned a dynamic IP, but they're
    > mapped to static addresses thanks to no-ip.org, and
    > they're also (obviously) on different subnets. I think I
    > understand that if I configure Linux as a WINS server
    > then NetBIOS over TCP/IP should allow those
    > machines on network 'a' to see those machines on
    > network 'b' through Network Places.
    >
    > So far, I've had no success. I can, however, see the
    > Linux shares from network 'a' via
    >
    > Net View
    >
    > but a call to smbclient -L
    > fails with "Connection to failed".
    >
    > Could anyone *please* help me resolve this problem?
    > I would greatly appreciate any feedback that *anyone*
    > could give.

    Please list the output of ipconfig/all from ALL the windows pc's
    and the output of ifconfig from the linux pc.

    Also post your smb.conf

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

  4. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    "Mark" wrote in message

    > Please list the output of ipconfig/all from ALL the windows pc's
    > and the output of ifconfig from the linux pc.
    >
    > Also post your smb.conf

    I have no problems accessing the shares from
    the Linux side of the network. And from the
    other side, I'm only really concerned with
    getting the XP connection sharing PC to see
    the Linux shares. Anyhow, in lmhosts and hosts
    on the all-XP side I've added the (dynamic, but
    as it currently stands) IP on the Linux machines.
    Likewise, I've added the remote XP's IP address
    to lmhosts and hosts on the Linux side.

    Here's the smb.conf. I haven't bothered
    to show the shares.

    --8X--

    [global]

    workgroup = Everywhen
    netbios name = Sindy

    encrypt passwords = yes
    update encrypted = yes

    interfaces = eth0 eth1
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY

    wins support = yes
    domain master = no
    local master = yes
    preferred master = no

    os level = 255

    security = user

    ; I want to map XP users to their Linux equivalents.

    username map = /etc/samba/users.map

    unix password sync = yes

    --8X--

    Here's the output of ipconfig -all from the
    XP side:

    --8X--

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : deepthought

    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast
    Ethernet NIC

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-8D-4F-6F-D2

    PPP adapter BT Voyager ADSL Modem Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :

    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . :

    --8X--

    Everything seems okay.

    What has confused me a little is the output from
    nmblookup. It seems to only query the Windows
    machines on the Linux side and the broadcast
    address when performing a name query. Though
    pinging any machine on either network works fine.

    One of the things that concerns me, given that I
    can get everything working in the first place, is
    the issue of both networks' access to the internet
    (and thus each other) being by way of DHCP. If I
    have to rely on WINS, lmhosts or hosts then they
    will need updating whenever the IP addresses change.
    Isn't there a way around this? For example, having
    Samba query some external DNS server?

    Thanks for your feedback Mark. Any insight you can
    give will help make me sleep better at night. :-)

  5. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    "Amir Malik" wrote in message

    > I was once before in a very similar situation.

    That makes me feel a little better. ;-)

    > First you want to check that all machines can ping each other.

    All machines, on all sides, are pinging each other just fine.

    > You should try running smbclient with an increased debugging level.
    >
    > smbclient --debug=3 -L

    Viewing log.nmbd it appears that the all-XP side is being added to
    the Linux WINS server's list, with regards the relevant workgroup.

    > This may give you some clues as to whether it is a network, firewall, or
    > a configuration issue.

    > Are you sure your username and password are correct, too (looks like
    > you didn't specify a username or password)?

    I'm pretty sure they're correct. Accessing \\
    Run gives me access to the Linux box (I've mapped local XP users to
    remove Linux users).

    > Make sure the host you are trying to connect to is allowing SMB calls
    > from the host you are connecting from with the credentials you smbclient
    > is providing.

    How can I determing this?

    Thanks Amir. Your feedback is appreciated.

  6. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    Just Me wrote:

    > "Mark" wrote in message
    >

    >>Please list the output of ipconfig/all from ALL the windows pc's
    >>and the output of ifconfig from the linux pc.
    >>
    >>Also post your smb.conf

    > I have no problems accessing the shares from
    > the Linux side of the network. And from the
    > other side, I'm only really concerned with
    > getting the XP connection sharing PC to see
    > the Linux shares. Anyhow, in lmhosts and hosts
    > on the all-XP side I've added the (dynamic, but
    > as it currently stands) IP on the Linux machines.
    > Likewise, I've added the remote XP's IP address
    > to lmhosts and hosts on the Linux side.
    >
    > Here's the smb.conf. I haven't bothered
    > to show the shares.
    >
    > --8X--
    >
    > [global]
    >
    > workgroup = Everywhen
    > netbios name = Sindy
    >
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > update encrypted = yes
    >
    > interfaces = eth0 eth1
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    >
    > wins support = yes
    > domain master = no
    > local master = yes
    > preferred master = no
    >
    > os level = 255
    >
    > security = user
    >
    > ; I want to map XP users to their Linux equivalents.
    >
    > username map = /etc/samba/users.map
    >
    > unix password sync = yes
    >
    > --8X--
    >
    > Here's the output of ipconfig -all from the
    > XP side:
    >
    > --8X--
    >

    > Windows IP Configuration
    >

    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : deepthought
    >
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    >
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    >
    > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    >
    > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    >

    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    >

    > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    >
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast
    > Ethernet NIC
    >
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-8D-4F-6F-D2
    >

    > PPP adapter BT Voyager ADSL Modem Connection:
    >

    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    >
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    >
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    >
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    >
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :

    > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
    >
    > Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . :

    When posting for help, please do NOT munge IP addresses, DNS settings
    etc...How do you expect help otherwise? Its akin to having a sore
    throat, going to a doctor and tell him that he can only look at your
    baby toe so that he can you what is wrong with your throat....

    BTW, your posting IP is 81.152.111.10

    Where is the output of ifconfig on the linux pc?

    --
    Regards,
    Mark
    Samba Setup Guide: www.samba.netfirms.com
    Courier-imap Tutorial: www.samba.netfirms.com/courier/courier.html

  7. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > When posting for help, please do NOT munge IP addresses, DNS settings
    > etc...How do you expect help otherwise? Its akin to having a sore
    > throat, going to a doctor and tell him that he can only look at your
    > baby toe so that he can you what is wrong with your throat....

    Sorry. Force of habit. Paranoia runs in my family.

    > BTW, your posting IP is 81.152.111.10

    Oh. ;-)

    > Where is the output of ifconfig on the linux pc?

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:06:4F:03:3C:68
    inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::206:4fff:fe03:3c68/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:94048650 (89.6 Mb) TX bytes:143589595 (136.9 Mb)
    Interrupt:5 Base address:0xec00

    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:01:02:1E:08:8F
    inet addr:82.38.213.80 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.248.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::201:2ff:fe1e:88f/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:281824155 (268.7 Mb) TX bytes:102253026 (97.5 Mb)
    Interrupt:12 Base address:0xe800

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:214154 (209.1 Kb) TX bytes:214154 (209.1 Kb)

  8. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    "Just Me" wrote news:c57fro$2o2str$1@ID-
    186257.news.uni-berlin.de:
    > Viewing log.nmbd it appears that the all-XP side is being added to
    > the Linux WINS server's list, with regards the relevant workgroup.

    > I'm pretty sure they're correct. Accessing \\
    > Run gives me access to the Linux box (I've mapped local XP users to
    > remove Linux users).

    Good. You have solved the hostname to ip resolution problem between the
    two networks.

    But this doesn't answer the "browse" question. To have all boxes on the
    "network neighbour" you must have a filled local browser on each network.

    By default, on Windows and/or samba network there is an automatic local
    browser election (a master an many backup) on each network (using
    broadcast message).

    You (only) need to synchronize theses browse list.

    Look the O'Reilly Samba book
    http://ftp.easynet.be/samba/docs/using_samba/ch07.html, at the chapter
    named "Samba as the Domain Master Browser" and section "Multiple
    subnets".

    Summary solution 1 :
    --------------------

    Propagate the browscast browsing message from one network to the other.

    On the samba server :

    [global]
    remote announce = 172.16.2.255/METRAN

    172.16.2.255=your Windows network broadcast address

    Note : this only work if broadcast message are allowed to pass throw all
    firewall (out from net2, on from net1). Not sure, because many firewall
    or default linux iptables/ipchains rules block this.

    Summary solution 2 :
    --------------------

    If you can fix the master browser (see Samba doc) on the Windows network,
    you can synchronize the samba browse list with the Windows master browser
    :

    [global]
    remote browse sync = 172.16.2.130

    172.16.2.130=your Windows master browser address

    Summary solution 3 :
    --------------------

    Use a domain browser and a WINS server.

    A master browser is a browser that centralize browse list accross many
    networks.

    On Windows a domain browser is a primary controller (you can't seaparate
    the two notion), on Linux any samba server can become a domain browser :

    [global]
    domain master = yes

    The domain browser is automatically registered in the WINS database, and
    so can't run without any WINS server.

    Set only one domain browser (a Windows or a Linux box).

    Hope it may help.

    Regards

  9. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    "Antoine EMERIT" wrote in message
    news:XnF94C7EC9E123Aantoineemeritonlinef@212.27.42 .68...

    > > Viewing log.nmbd it appears that the all-XP side is being added to
    > > the Linux WINS server's list, with regards the relevant workgroup.

    > Good. You have solved the hostname to ip resolution problem between the
    > two networks.

    This is only done by way of a static entry within both /etc/hosts and
    /etc/samba/lmhosts. There's no NetBIOS name resolution. I would
    rather this could be handle dynamically, using the Linux machine as
    a WINS server. But my attempts to get this working have failed.

    > But this doesn't answer the "browse" question. To have all boxes on the
    > "network neighbour" you must have a filled local browser on each network.

    On the all-XP network, the master browser is also the internet connection
    sharing machine (IP 192.168.0.1) that the ADSL modem is connected to.
    (The dynamic address of the ADSL modem is mapped to a cononical name
    thank's to the freebies www.no-ip.org.)

    Ideally what would exists is a mechanism like thus:

    Local XP machine at 192.168.0.1 acts as the master browser that the
    Linux machine on the remote subnet (which sits behind a cable modem,
    whose dynamic IP address is also mapped to a cononical name by way
    of www.no-ip.org) syncronizes its browser list with. None of the
    all-XP
    machines are configured as WINS clients, so that it doesn't matter if
    the
    IP address of the remote Linux machine behind the cable modem changes.
    (Windows XP only allows IP addresses and not cononical names to be
    entered for a WINS server address.)

    I believe means I'd have to configure the remote Linux machine as:

    > Summary solution 2 :
    > --------------------
    >
    > If you can fix the master browser (see Samba doc) on the Windows network,
    > you can synchronize the samba browse list with the Windows master browser
    > :
    >
    > [global]
    > remote browse sync =

    And only allow the remote Linux machine to act as a local browser for
    it's subnet only? Something along the lines of:

    wins support = no
    domain master = no
    preferred master = no
    local master = yes
    remote browse sync = 192.168.0.1

    I think that's what needs doing. But between each subnet there's a
    modem in the way with their own IP addresses that are dynamic.
    This would mean that

    remote browse sync =

    But the IP address of the remote ADSL modem can never be
    associated with the master browser on that *other* subnet can it?
    After all, the master browser would be at 192.168.0.1 and not
    at the IP address of the ADSL modem.

    And to confuse issues further, "remote browse sync" expects an
    IP address and not a cononical name. That causes problems because
    it would need changing whenever the IP address of the remote ADSL
    modem changed.

  10. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    Just Me wrote:

    > Hi. I've spent the past day trying to get a group
    > of computers accessing each others' shares with
    > little success.
    >
    > I have two networks:
    >
    > a) Windows XP and 98 machines behind a USB
    > ADSL net connection. The XP machine acts as
    > the ICS host.
    >
    > b) Linux (with Samba installed) and Windows XP
    > machines behind a cable modem.
    >
    > I want the machines on network 'a' to be able to
    > access the shares on the machines on network 'b',
    > as well as each machine appear in the XP/98
    > Network Places.
    >
    > Each network is assigned a dynamic IP, but they're
    > mapped to static addresses thanks to no-ip.org, and
    > they're also (obviously) on different subnets. I think I
    > understand that if I configure Linux as a WINS server
    > then NetBIOS over TCP/IP should allow those
    > machines on network 'a' to see those machines on
    > network 'b' through Network Places.
    >
    > So far, I've had no success. I can, however, see the
    > Linux shares from network 'a' via
    >
    > Net View
    >
    > but a call to smbclient -L
    > fails with "Connection to failed".
    >
    > Could anyone *please* help me resolve this problem?
    > I would greatly appreciate any feedback that *anyone*
    > could give.

    Even if you get it to work, I think it is an EXTREMELY bad idea to
    expose an SMB share to the Internet, for security reasons.

  11. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    "Just Me" wrote

    > This is only done by way of a static entry within both /etc/hosts and
    > /etc/samba/lmhosts. There's no NetBIOS name resolution. I would
    > rather this could be handle dynamically, using the Linux machine as
    > a WINS server. But my attempts to get this working have failed.

    The WINS server is not call for *nix regular hostname resolution.

    But Windows stations or dhcp server can fill a DNS with hostname<->ip
    association (using dynamic dns protocol). Be this is only valid if you
    use a centralized DNS server for the both network. And it don't managed
    the browse list question.

    > preferred master = no

    preferred master = yes to force the re-election

    > I think that's what needs doing. But between each subnet there's a
    > modem in the way with their own IP addresses that are dynamic.

    Damned !

    > But the IP address of the remote ADSL modem can never be
    > associated with the master browser on that *other* subnet can it?
    > After all, the master browser would be at 192.168.0.1 and not
    > at the IP address of the ADSL modem.
    >
    > And to confuse issues further, "remote browse sync" expects an
    > IP address and not a cononical name. That causes problems because
    > it would need changing whenever the IP address of the remote ADSL
    > modem changed.

    That's the problem, it can't use dynamic address :-(

    You can't do it :-( ! Except ... if you set a VPN, and so you may
    synchronized with static private address. This would improved your
    security too.

    Set a VPN that automatic reconnect your two networks when any dynamic
    address changes (wich mean that one of the two connection fall down), and
    use the private ip of your local browser to sync it.

    Regards

  12. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:41:27 GMT,
    CJT , in
    <4078DC85.5010602@prodigy.net> wrote:

    >+ Even if you get it to work, I think it is an EXTREMELY bad idea to
    >+ expose an SMB share to the Internet, for security reasons.

    That's one problem, sure. Actually, that's a pretty big one. You may
    also want to filter port 135 on the windows boxes.

    Did anyone mention that the probability rapidly approaches 1 that one
    or both of the ISP's are also blocking the Microsoft file sharing
    ports (137, 139, and 445)?

    And depending on the distribution of linux, there may well be firewall
    in play.

    As a test, one may run an nmap portscan on the remote host that you're
    interested in connecting with. If the relevant ports are reported as
    "filter"ed, then they're being blocked.

    If you must do this, you should think of implementing a VPN (like
    OpenVPN).

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  13. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    On 12 Apr 2004 02:12:57 GMT, darthaggie@cflarg.arg (I R A Darth Aggie)
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:41:27 GMT,
    >CJT , in
    ><4078DC85.5010602@prodigy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>+ Even if you get it to work, I think it is an EXTREMELY bad idea to
    >>+ expose an SMB share to the Internet, for security reasons.

    >That's one problem, sure. Actually, that's a pretty big one. You may
    >also want to filter port 135 on the windows boxes.
    >
    >Did anyone mention that the probability rapidly approaches 1 that one
    >or both of the ISP's are also blocking the Microsoft file sharing
    >ports (137, 139, and 445)?

    I don't know of any that don't, since Mickysoft leaves everything open
    by default and most windows users don't know enough to close them.

    Mike-
    --
    If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
    --

  14. Re: Samba problem: WinXP <-> ADSL <-> Internet <-> Cable <-> Linux

    "Antoine EMERIT" wrote in message
    news:XnF94C8F08AE2B7Aantoineemeritonlinef@212.27.4 2.69...
    > "Just Me" wrote

    > > preferred master = no

    > preferred master = yes to force the re-election
    >
    > > I think that's what needs doing. But between each subnet there's a
    > > modem in the way with their own IP addresses that are dynamic.

    > Damned !

    Silly me - this is actually working now. The remote machine's IP address
    changed, and I neglected to change the IP of the WINS under Windows.

    I've just ran nbtstat -c on the local Windows box and in the Remote Cache
    Name Table for the NIC I see the (presumably) remote workgroup name.
    There are two entries, one and the other . I
    would have expected the IP Host Address associated with each to be the
    address of the Samba server, but they aren't. They're coming up as
    192.168.1.1 instead. Likewise, there's also an entry for the other machine
    on the all-XP network with a type , and it's IP address
    192.168.0.1.

    > That's the problem, it can't use dynamic address :-(
    >
    > You can't do it :-( ! Except ... if you set a VPN, and so you may
    > synchronized with static private address. This would improved your
    > security too.
    >
    > Set a VPN that automatic reconnect your two networks when any dynamic
    > address changes (wich mean that one of the two connection fall down), and
    > use the private ip of your local browser to sync it.

    Would I be looking at installing OpenSSH here?

+ Reply to Thread