samba 2.2.7 - include = /etc/samba/confs/smb.conf.%L with %L being FQDN - SMB

This is a discussion on samba 2.2.7 - include = /etc/samba/confs/smb.conf.%L with %L being FQDN - SMB ; Hi, I have the %L working for includes with NETBIOS name. For example, if I browse to \\sambapub I get one set of shares and if I browse to \\sambapriv I get a different set, with different permissions. This is ...

  1. samba 2.2.7 - include = /etc/samba/confs/smb.conf.%L with %L being FQDN

    Hi,

    I have the %L working for includes with NETBIOS name. For example, if
    I browse to \\sambapub I get one set of shares and if I browse to
    \\sambapriv I get a different set, with different permissions. This is
    all well and good, and accomplished with the include line, and files
    named smb.conf.sambapub and smb.conf.sambapriv. However, we have
    nearly 1000 clients using a server now, and they all browse to it
    using \\fully.qualified.domainname and I can't seem to get this to
    work with the %L. I have the FQDNs listed in "netbios aliases" in the
    main smb.conf file, and I have the smb.conf.fully.qualified.domainname
    in the correct include directory. When I try to browse to
    \\fully.qualified.domainname I just get an empty share, as if it just
    loads the main smb.conf file, and doesn't get the includes.

    Will this work? I realize that the %L is replaced with whatever the
    client chooses to browse to, this is why I can't just rely on NETBIOS
    name, because it doesn't seem reasonable to go to all 1000 clients and
    change the way the printer is referenced. I don't see any reason why
    this shouldn't work, if I have the smb.conf.fully.qualified.domainname
    in the right place. If anyone wants to see my confs, I will be glad to
    post them, but since it works fine with \\NETBIOSNAME then I assume
    there is just something different that needs to be done to deal with
    \\FQDN.

    thanks so much,
    Stephen

  2. Re: samba 2.2.7 - include = /etc/samba/confs/smb.conf.%L with %L being FQDN

    "sagar" wrote in message
    news:4d015c55.0404020741.5f4f274e@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the %L working for includes with NETBIOS name. For example, if
    > I browse to \\sambapub I get one set of shares and if I browse to
    > \\sambapriv I get a different set, with different permissions. This is
    > all well and good, and accomplished with the include line, and files
    > named smb.conf.sambapub and smb.conf.sambapriv. However, we have
    > nearly 1000 clients using a server now, and they all browse to it
    > using \\fully.qualified.domainname and I can't seem to get this to
    > work with the %L. I have the FQDNs listed in "netbios aliases" in the
    > main smb.conf file, and I have the smb.conf.fully.qualified.domainname
    > in the correct include directory. When I try to browse to
    > \\fully.qualified.domainname I just get an empty share, as if it just
    > loads the main smb.conf file, and doesn't get the includes.
    >
    > Will this work? I realize that the %L is replaced with whatever the
    > client chooses to browse to, this is why I can't just rely on NETBIOS
    > name, because it doesn't seem reasonable to go to all 1000 clients and
    > change the way the printer is referenced. I don't see any reason why
    > this shouldn't work, if I have the smb.conf.fully.qualified.domainname
    > in the right place. If anyone wants to see my confs, I will be glad to
    > post them, but since it works fine with \\NETBIOSNAME then I assume
    > there is just something different that needs to be done to deal with
    > \\FQDN.
    >
    > thanks so much,
    > Stephen

    It could be the limit on the length of the NetBIOS name - 16 characters.

+ Reply to Thread