smbmount file transfer limit - SMB

This is a discussion on smbmount file transfer limit - SMB ; Hello, I have a share set up to a Win2k system through a SMBMOUNT to a Windows share point, and am trying to send files that are in excess of 2GB. The files that end up on my Win2k box ...

  1. smbmount file transfer limit

    Hello,
    I have a share set up to a Win2k system through a SMBMOUNT to a Windows
    share point, and am trying to send files that are in excess of 2GB. The
    files that end up on my Win2k box are truncated at 2GB.
    I can not find any limits in the documentation for Samba nor for Windows
    that limits file sizes to 2GB. Any ideas of what settings I am missing?

    Regards

  2. Re: smbmount file transfer limit

    Hi,

    > I have a share set up to a Win2k system through a SMBMOUNT to a Windows
    > share point, and am trying to send files that are in excess of 2GB. The
    > files that end up on my Win2k box are truncated at 2GB.

    I'm a bit confused. Do you sen dfiles from a Windows-share to your unix box
    or vice versa?

    > I can not find any limits in the documentation for Samba nor for Windows
    > that limits file sizes to 2GB. Any ideas of what settings I am missing?

    It usually not a samba issue.
    Wich unix distro are you running? Samba Version might be of interest, too.

    Some (older) file systems on Windows machines as well as on unix machines
    are not capable to handle files larger than 2 GB.

    When you use Win2k, the problem will most likely be the file system you use
    on your unix box. Anyway, with a not-so-old distro, this should be
    no problem as well....

    Follow this link and check, if you run such an older kernel/file system.
    I found this on the net:

    http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

    (don't worry, it's in english language:-)

    Ok, it might also be a smb client issue, but the file system thing
    should be the best point to start.

    HTH

    Ralf

  3. Re: smbmount file transfer limit

    Let's see if I can provide a bit more info.

    > > I have a share set up to a Win2k system through a SMBMOUNT to a

    Windows
    > > share point, and am trying to send files that are in excess of 2GB. The
    > > files that end up on my Win2k box are truncated at 2GB.

    Sending files from the Linux RedHat 7.3 system to a share point on the Win2k
    system.
    The Samba version I am running is 2.2.1a

    > It usually not a samba issue.
    > Wich unix distro are you running? Samba Version might be of interest, too.

    I will look into the windows file system to check that angle.

    > When you use Win2k, the problem will most likely be the file system you

    use
    > on your unix box. Anyway, with a not-so-old distro, this should be
    > no problem as well....

    Thanks

  4. Re: smbmount file transfer limit

    "loon" wrote in message
    > Let's see if I can provide a bit more info.
    >
    > > > I have a share set up to a Win2k system through a SMBMOUNT to a

    > Windows
    > > > share point, and am trying to send files that are in excess of 2GB.

    The
    > > > files that end up on my Win2k box are truncated at 2GB.

    > Sending files from the Linux RedHat 7.3 system to a share point on the

    Win2k
    > system.
    > The Samba version I am running is 2.2.1a

    A Windows FAT16 partition has a 2GB limit. There are also other limits with
    FAT16 which would translate into the problem you are having.

    The RH7.3 version I have had a 2GB limit, but that is no longer the case
    since I updated the kernel - I think. That is probably not your problem if
    you are copying a >2GB file from Linux to Windows.

    > > It usually not a samba issue.
    > > Wich unix distro are you running? Samba Version might be of interest,

    too.

    > I will look into the windows file system to check that angle.
    > >
    > > When you use Win2k, the problem will most likely be the file system you

    > use
    > > on your unix box. Anyway, with a not-so-old distro, this should be
    > > no problem as well....

    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread