Hello all,

//Tried posting this in linux.samba but got it back since that news
group is apparently read-only

I have been using Samba for a couple of years now and am very
satisfied with it. This weekend I got the luminous idea to hook
up my printer to the linux box too, so both me and my girlfriend can
print
from our WinXP desktops.

My printer is a Lexmark Z25 and Lexmark luckily has a linux driver, I
installed this and it works fine on the linux box with lpr. (It's the
cups driver).

On to configure it in smb.conf, I tried a million configurations over
the past few days but this is the current one.

[global]
printing = cups
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printer = yes

[printers]
guest ok = yes
public = yes
path = /tmp
writeable = yes
printable = yes
print command = lpr -r -h -P %p %s

I see the printer in my windows network neighbourhood, I can click
'connect', it then asks for a driver. The normal windows lexmark
driver works fine and installation is no problem.

But then, when I try to print a test page I get the message "Unable to
create a print job".

I looked on the internet and I viewed all 32 threads about this
problem in google groups but so far none of the advice offered has
been able to resolve my problem. For most people it seems to be a
matter of user access rights but since my spooling dir is set to /tmp
that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Does anybody know what causes this problem and what I can do to fix
it?

Thanks very much!