samba network drives and Windows 2000 - SMB

This is a discussion on samba network drives and Windows 2000 - SMB ; I am having a problem with some Windows 2000 clients. The samba server is Solaris 7 and Samba 2.2.2. I have 5 Windows 2000 clients. One works fine, no problems at all. Three sometimes show a red x on the ...

  1. samba network drives and Windows 2000

    I am having a problem with some Windows 2000 clients. The samba server
    is Solaris 7 and Samba 2.2.2. I have 5 Windows 2000 clients. One works
    fine, no problems at all.
    Three sometimes show a red x on the network drive indicating it is not
    connected but if you click on it and reconnect the x is stll there.
    Also, on those there is one application which when you try to save a
    file to a certain network drive you get an error indicating the drive
    is already in use. Though the file does get saved. On the last one
    those problems exist but other applications (like MS Word) give the
    error about drive already in use also. I set up all these pcs myself
    and thought I they were identical but that doesn't seem to be the
    case. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Dave Weiss

  2. Re: samba network drives and Windows 2000

    Dave Weiss wrote:

    > I am having a problem with some Windows 2000 clients. The samba server
    > is Solaris 7 and Samba 2.2.2. I have 5 Windows 2000 clients. One works
    > fine, no problems at all.
    > Three sometimes show a red x on the network drive indicating it is not
    > connected but if you click on it and reconnect the x is stll there.
    > Also, on those there is one application which when you try to save a
    > file to a certain network drive you get an error indicating the drive
    > is already in use. Though the file does get saved. On the last one
    > those problems exist but other applications (like MS Word) give the
    > error about drive already in use also. I set up all these pcs myself
    > and thought I they were identical but that doesn't seem to be the
    > case. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave Weiss

    This sounds more like a DNS problem rather then a Samba problem. Try
    this, map the drives by their ip address instead of netbios name.
    Does the issue continue?

    If the issue stops, this means you have some TCP/IP problems on your
    network that are affecting Samba.

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

  3. Re: samba network drives and Windows 2000

    Mark wrote in message news:...
    > Dave Weiss wrote:
    >
    > > I am having a problem with some Windows 2000 clients. The samba server
    > > is Solaris 7 and Samba 2.2.2. I have 5 Windows 2000 clients. One works
    > > fine, no problems at all.
    > > Three sometimes show a red x on the network drive indicating it is not
    > > connected but if you click on it and reconnect the x is stll there.
    > > Also, on those there is one application which when you try to save a
    > > file to a certain network drive you get an error indicating the drive
    > > is already in use. Though the file does get saved. On the last one
    > > those problems exist but other applications (like MS Word) give the
    > > error about drive already in use also. I set up all these pcs myself
    > > and thought I they were identical but that doesn't seem to be the
    > > case. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Dave Weiss

    > This sounds more like a DNS problem rather then a Samba problem. Try
    > this, map the drives by their ip address instead of netbios name.
    > Does the issue continue?
    >
    > If the issue stops, this means you have some TCP/IP problems on your
    > network that are affecting Samba.

    I gave that a try. It didn't make a difference.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread