Win98 home dir NOT accessible, XP Pro is accessible - SMB

This is a discussion on Win98 home dir NOT accessible, XP Pro is accessible - SMB ; I'm using FreeBSD 4.9 Release with Samba-2.2.8 XP Pro machine connects to Samba-2.2.8, sees [homes] directory as "username" correctly, and has logon success. Also sees [share] directory, and has access. Net view \\samba displays username home dir, and share. Win98 ...

  1. Win98 home dir NOT accessible, XP Pro is accessible

    I'm using FreeBSD 4.9 Release with Samba-2.2.8

    XP Pro machine connects to Samba-2.2.8, sees [homes] directory as
    "username" correctly, and has logon success. Also sees [share]
    directory, and has access. Net view \\samba displays username home
    dir, and share.

    Win98 machine connects to Samba-2.2.8, DOES NOT see [homes] directory
    correctly. It only sees [share] directory, and has access. Net view
    \\samba displays share only.

    Here is the smb.conf:

    [global]
    wins support = yes
    os level = 65
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes
    netbios name = "unix name"
    workgroup = "workgroup name"
    encrypt passwords = Yes

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /home/%u
    read only = no
    browseable = no

    [share]
    comment = Data Share
    path = /export
    force group = users
    guest ok = yes

    smbclient //"unix name"/share -U username%password works for all
    users, XP Pro and Win98

    Win98 clients use same case-sensitivity for Workgroup and computer
    name as FreeBSD usernames.

    I'm assuming that encryption is not an issue with Samba; if XP Pro is
    already setup for encryption, and it's working, then encryption is
    functional on Samba.

    Win98 EnablePlainTextPassword has DWord set to 00 00 00 00, which is
    opposite on what networks.txt in Win98 dir recommends to disable
    password encryption. Encryption is set to "ON".

    Unix home dirs are owned by their respective usernames, with 755
    permissions.

    Joe

  2. Re: Win98 home dir NOT accessible, XP Pro is accessible

    josephrjm@yahoo.com (Joe) wrote in message news:<40340359.0402082208.5cbc9f35@posting.google.com>...
    > I'm using FreeBSD 4.9 Release with Samba-2.2.8
    >
    > XP Pro machine connects to Samba-2.2.8, sees [homes] directory as
    > "username" correctly, and has logon success. Also sees [share]
    > directory, and has access. Net view \\samba displays username home
    > dir, and share.
    >
    > Win98 machine connects to Samba-2.2.8, DOES NOT see [homes] directory
    > correctly. It only sees [share] directory, and has access. Net view
    > \\samba displays share only.
    >
    > Here is the smb.conf:
    >
    > [global]
    > wins support = yes
    > os level = 65
    > local master = yes
    > preferred master = yes
    > domain master = yes
    > netbios name = "unix name"
    > workgroup = "workgroup name"
    > encrypt passwords = Yes
    >
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > path = /home/%u
    > read only = no
    > browseable = no
    >
    > [share]
    > comment = Data Share
    > path = /export
    > force group = users
    > guest ok = yes
    >
    > smbclient //"unix name"/share -U username%password works for all
    > users, XP Pro and Win98
    >
    > Win98 clients use same case-sensitivity for Workgroup and computer
    > name as FreeBSD usernames.
    >
    > I'm assuming that encryption is not an issue with Samba; if XP Pro is
    > already setup for encryption, and it's working, then encryption is
    > functional on Samba.
    >
    > Win98 EnablePlainTextPassword has DWord set to 00 00 00 00, which is
    > opposite on what networks.txt in Win98 dir recommends to disable
    > password encryption. Encryption is set to "ON".
    >
    > Unix home dirs are owned by their respective usernames, with 755
    > permissions.

    > Joe

    I figured it out.

    I simply changed the unix/samba/win98 usernames to all lowercase
    (instead of first letter caps), and the home shares displayed
    perfectly. The first letter capital in the username did not appear to
    affect the XP Pro machine, though I changed it to remain consistent.

    I also learned that removing users via editing
    /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd directly will not work; after
    reboot, the usernames reappear. smbclient -x is the
    appropriate too.

    Lastly, I realized that adding debugging to smb.conf, and actually
    reading the logs can help!

    --Cheers

  3. Re: Win98 home dir NOT accessible, XP Pro is accessible

    --Cheers

+ Reply to Thread