Samba & port 445 - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba & port 445 - SMB ; I have disabled netbios over t`cp/ip on my computers. I can still conect without names, \\IP\share style from my windows boxes. I tried to connect from freebsd using smbmount -I (IP) , but name timed out. My windows boxes are ...

  1. Samba & port 445

    I have disabled netbios over t`cp/ip on my computers. I can still conect
    without names, \\IP\share style from my windows boxes. I tried to connect
    from freebsd using smbmount -I (IP) , but name timed out.

    My windows boxes are listening only at port 445 (M$- Dist. Services).
    Does samba 3+ support this ?

    TIA,

  2. Re: Samba & port 445

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:48:36 +0000, No Te Importa wrote:

    > I have disabled netbios over t`cp/ip on my computers. I can still
    > conect
    > without names, \\IP\share style from my windows boxes. I tried to
    > connect from freebsd using smbmount -I (IP) , but name timed out.
    >
    > My windows boxes are listening only at port 445 (M$- Dist.
    > Services).
    > Does samba 3+ support this ?

    The last I checked, FreeBSD didn't use an smbmount command; it used one
    called mount_smbfs. My FreeBSD 5.1 system's mount_smbfs seems to be
    hard-coded to use port 139; that's what it connects to by default, and the
    man page doesn't mention any options for changing it. Linux's smbmount,
    OTOH, seems to use port 445 by default (at least, with Samba 3.0.1 and a
    2.6.1 kernel installed; I haven't tested with other combinations),
    although the man page says it uses 139 by default. (I assume the man page
    is simply out of date.)

    Samba 3.0 supports an option called "smb ports" that determines to what
    ports the smbd server listens. The default is to listen on both 139 and
    445, but you can change this. When I disable port 139 on a Samba 3.0.0
    server, FreeBSD can't connect with mount_smbfs, so apparently there's no
    automatic fallback to 445. Linux's smbmount is more flexible; it'll
    connect to port 139 if 445 isn't active. There's also a port option to
    this command.

    So in sum, Samba 3.0 certainly does support operation on port 445 only;
    however, the FreeBSD mount_smbfs command doesn't seem to do so, at least
    not in FreeBSD 5.1. Perhaps it's more flexible in 5.2. If you mean you're
    using Linux and its smbmount command, not FreeBSD's mount_smbfs, you
    should be able to get it to work, although you might need to upgrade your
    version of Samba and/or your kernel.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  3. Re: Samba & port 445

    I'm using BSD 5.1Rel.
    I see. Maybe I can look around mount_smbfs's code and patch.

    Thanks a lot, best regards,

    Alvaro Sauca.

    "Rod Smith" escribió en el mensaje
    newsan.2004.02.12.16.11.11.983459@rodsbooks.com...
    > On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:48:36 +0000, No Te Importa wrote:
    >
    > > I have disabled netbios over t`cp/ip on my computers. I can still
    > > conect
    > > without names, \\IP\share style from my windows boxes. I tried to
    > > connect from freebsd using smbmount -I (IP) , but name timed out.
    > >
    > > My windows boxes are listening only at port 445 (M$- Dist.
    > > Services).
    > > Does samba 3+ support this ?

    > The last I checked, FreeBSD didn't use an smbmount command; it used one
    > called mount_smbfs. My FreeBSD 5.1 system's mount_smbfs seems to be
    > hard-coded to use port 139; that's what it connects to by default, and the
    > man page doesn't mention any options for changing it. Linux's smbmount,
    > OTOH, seems to use port 445 by default (at least, with Samba 3.0.1 and a
    > 2.6.1 kernel installed; I haven't tested with other combinations),
    > although the man page says it uses 139 by default. (I assume the man page
    > is simply out of date.)
    >
    > Samba 3.0 supports an option called "smb ports" that determines to what
    > ports the smbd server listens. The default is to listen on both 139 and
    > 445, but you can change this. When I disable port 139 on a Samba 3.0.0
    > server, FreeBSD can't connect with mount_smbfs, so apparently there's no
    > automatic fallback to 445. Linux's smbmount is more flexible; it'll
    > connect to port 139 if 445 isn't active. There's also a port option to
    > this command.
    >
    > So in sum, Samba 3.0 certainly does support operation on port 445 only;
    > however, the FreeBSD mount_smbfs command doesn't seem to do so, at least
    > not in FreeBSD 5.1. Perhaps it's more flexible in 5.2. If you mean you're
    > using Linux and its smbmount command, not FreeBSD's mount_smbfs, you
    > should be able to get it to work, although you might need to upgrade your
    > version of Samba and/or your kernel.
    >
    > --
    > Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    > http://www.rodsbooks.com
    > Author of books on Linux, FreeBSD, and networking

+ Reply to Thread