Samba Versions & Installation - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba Versions & Installation - SMB ; Hi All, I have an old RHL7.2 server running. I've always used Samba to share backup drives with my Win9X workstations. Now I'm using XP Pro. The Samba version I am running is whatever came with 7.2, I believe 2.0. ...

  1. Samba Versions & Installation

    Hi All,

    I have an old RHL7.2 server running.

    I've always used Samba to share backup drives with my Win9X workstations.
    Now I'm using XP Pro.

    The Samba version I am running is whatever came with 7.2, I believe 2.0.

    I have the binary, (rpm), for samba-2.2.8a.

    I need to know if I upgrade my existing 2.0 to 2.2, will it affect my
    settings?

    Also, do I absolutely have to set Samba up to be a PDC to work with my XP
    workstations?

    One last thing: What would the command string be to install 2.2 - "rpm -? -?
    samba-2.2..."

    Thanks,

    Babs

  2. Re: Samba Versions & Installation

    Barbara wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have an old RHL7.2 server running.

    Consider updating it also

    > I've always used Samba to share backup drives with my Win9X workstations.
    > Now I'm using XP Pro.

    Poor soul.

    > The Samba version I am running is whatever came with 7.2, I believe 2.0.
    >
    > I have the binary, (rpm), for samba-2.2.8a.

    Isn't there samba-common, samba-client, samba-swat rpms?

    > I need to know if I upgrade my existing 2.0 to 2.2, will it affect my
    > settings?

    If you could get the rpms for redhat 7.2, the update should work without
    trouble. But then, I don't know your smb.conf settings. There are some
    settings that are deprecated or invalid in 2.2, and others which are new.
    Run testparm to make sure everything is in order.

    > Also, do I absolutely have to set Samba up to be a PDC to work with my XP
    > workstations?

    Not at all. But then, it's too convenient to have a single source of
    authentication like a PDC: you won't need any local user accounts on
    XP/2K/NT anymore (except the local role accounts). You don't have to worry
    agout password synchronization between different XP boxen to make
    filesharing work.
    You can retrieve the userlist from the DC and specify what to share for
    which users of the "domain".
    Well, there's for sure no need to implememt this on a home lan :-).

    > One last thing: What would the command string be to install 2.2 - "rpm -?
    > -? samba-2.2..."

    Try "rpm -Uvh " for update.
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]

+ Reply to Thread