help ! - SMB

This is a discussion on help ! - SMB ; hello, in first sorry for my english. I've got a problem with differents clients on a samba server (2.2.2). On my linux/samba server i make a directory "/home/test" with the following permissions owner rwx group rwx other wx => chmod ...

  1. help !

    hello,
    in first sorry for my english.

    I've got a problem with differents clients on a samba server (2.2.2).

    On my linux/samba server i make a directory "/home/test" with the
    following permissions

    owner rwx
    group rwx
    other wx

    => chmod 773 /home/test

    I want that some user (other) could write on it but couldnt read on it.

    path test = /home/test
    browsable = no
    read only = no
    writeable = yes

    With a windows 98 client all is ok
    but the problem occurs with a windows 2000 client
    the access is refused in writing, and I do not really see why.

    If somebody got an answer it could be very usefull
    thank you

    my mail : pascal.legrand@univ-orleans.fr

  2. Re: help !

    Pascal Legrand wrote:

    > => chmod 773 /home/test
    >
    > I want that some user (other) could write on it but couldnt read on it.
    >
    > path test = /home/test
    > browsable = no
    > read only = no
    > writeable = yes
    >
    > With a windows 98 client all is ok
    > but the problem occurs with a windows 2000 client
    > the access is refused in writing, and I do not really see why.

    Hmm, just a wild guess:
    Win2k always checks the "read" box also, when you give write permission to a
    file or folder (local ntfs permissions).Appears windows first wants to make
    sure the file to be written to, doesn't already exist, and therefore must
    be able (as user) to read it.
    Now, from linux/unix, you can also read a file you created inside such a
    directory, if you just remember it's name .
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]

+ Reply to Thread