Samba, Windows ME, Excel add-in problem - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba, Windows ME, Excel add-in problem - SMB ; I have a very odd problem. We use a set of Excel add-ins (whatever.xla) for various processes. At the moment these are all held in a Novell Netware share and picked up by Excel by setting the 'Alternative Startup Location' ...

  1. Samba, Windows ME, Excel add-in problem

    I have a very odd problem.

    We use a set of Excel add-ins (whatever.xla) for various processes. At
    the moment these are all held in a Novell Netware share and picked up by
    Excel by setting the 'Alternative Startup Location' to that share.

    Last night I attempted to move the share over to Samba (3.0). All worked
    fine for Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0 and XP. Unfortunately both our Windows
    ME machines have problems. They complain that 'whatever.xla cannot be
    found' despite the fact that they have got that name from the directory.
    No clues in the log files at all.

    Has anyone seen this at all? I'm not holding out much hope as it's a
    rather exotic setup.

    I could upgrade those machines but we deliberately run a mixed bunch as
    we develop software. I still need an ME machine for testing.

  2. Re: Samba, Windows ME, Excel add-in problem

    Kevin,

    Can you use network neighborhood on either of the ME boxen to navigate to
    the share/directory where the .xla file located?

    Can you navigate to any other shares (if any) on the Samba box from the ME
    boxes?

    Is the Samba box used for authentication (PDC, for example)?

    Do any of the other boxes have user accounts on the Samba server? I'm
    wondering if there's a validation, authentication or encrypted password
    issue with these 2 boxes.

    Are the ME boxes set up for share-level control or user-level control in the
    access control tab of networking in control panel?

    Grasping at straws here. Can you tell?

    --
    Bill in Sacramento, California
    Land of the fruits and nuts...

    "Kevin Thorpe" wrote in message
    news:40221180$0$15406$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk. ..
    > I have a very odd problem.
    >
    > We use a set of Excel add-ins (whatever.xla) for various processes. At
    > the moment these are all held in a Novell Netware share and picked up by
    > Excel by setting the 'Alternative Startup Location' to that share.
    >
    > Last night I attempted to move the share over to Samba (3.0). All worked
    > fine for Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0 and XP. Unfortunately both our Windows
    > ME machines have problems. They complain that 'whatever.xla cannot be
    > found' despite the fact that they have got that name from the directory.
    > No clues in the log files at all.
    >
    > Has anyone seen this at all? I'm not holding out much hope as it's a
    > rather exotic setup.
    >
    > I could upgrade those machines but we deliberately run a mixed bunch as
    > we develop software. I still need an ME machine for testing.

+ Reply to Thread