Drag-and-drop PDF generation - SMB

This is a discussion on Drag-and-drop PDF generation - SMB ; Greetings! I have a Linux/Samba "pseudo"-printer set up to generate PDFs and copy to a shared directory. Works great. It doesn't create meaningful file names, but that is a minor issue. (Is there any way of grabbing the name of ...

  1. Drag-and-drop PDF generation

    Greetings!

    I have a Linux/Samba "pseudo"-printer set up to generate PDFs and copy to a
    shared directory. Works great. It doesn't create meaningful file names, but
    that is a minor issue. (Is there any way of grabbing the name of the
    original document and use it?)

    My other question is about the "drag-and-drop" generation:
    Let's say a Windows-user drags a document into the aforementioned shared
    PDF-folder.
    Let's say it is a textfile, or a Word-document.
    Is there some mechanism/event that can be used to automatically generate a
    PDF of this document and place that file in the folder? Or a 1-minute
    cron-job if Samba 'events' can't be used or don't exist.
    Can OpenOffice (or some other tool) be used for this kind of pre-print
    processing?

    Anybody tried it before?
    Any thoughts/insights/ideas?

    Foz

  2. Re: Drag-and-drop PDF generation

    Frank Foss wrote:

    > Greetings!
    >
    > I have a Linux/Samba "pseudo"-printer set up to generate PDFs and copy to a
    > shared directory. Works great. It doesn't create meaningful file names, but
    > that is a minor issue. (Is there any way of grabbing the name of the
    > original document and use it?)

    Haven't tried it ( yet ), but maybe using the info here :
    http://linux-sxs.org/networking/PDF_...ing_Samba.html

    > My other question is about the "drag-and-drop" generation:
    > Let's say a Windows-user drags a document into the aforementioned shared
    > PDF-folder.
    > Let's say it is a textfile, or a Word-document.
    > Is there some mechanism/event that can be used to automatically generate a
    > PDF of this document and place that file in the folder? Or a 1-minute
    > cron-job if Samba 'events' can't be used or don't exist.
    > Can OpenOffice (or some other tool) be used for this kind of pre-print
    > processing?

    OO can export to pdf. Works quite well, too. Will that do what you need ?

    --
    - Matt -

+ Reply to Thread