Filesharing on the Net - SMB

This is a discussion on Filesharing on the Net - SMB ; Hello all, Somethings been bugging me for a while now so I thought I'd ask the question. Scenario... I've got a Origo DSL router with only one PC on the network. Router is set to DMZ to my pc (192.168.0.1) ...

  1. Filesharing on the Net

    Hello all,

    Somethings been bugging me for a while now so I thought I'd ask the
    question.

    Scenario...

    I've got a Origo DSL router with only one PC on the network. Router
    is set to DMZ to my pc (192.168.0.1) so all ports should be forwarded
    to my PC. Pc has firewall running

    If I disable my firewall go to shields up and check my file sharing,
    Sheilds up comes in on port 139 and shows my shares as exopected.

    But If I go to my friends PC and try to see my shares with the
    firewall disabled I get Network Path Not Found with only Packets from
    port 80 registering on my PC?

    So my question is, why is Shields up coming in ok and not another PC
    on the internet.

    If I try \\my fiends IP address I see his shares when he disables his
    firewall but when he does the same to me he gets Network path not
    found. Doesn't make sense.

    domain105

    PLEASE NOTE:

    I am fully aware of the implications of allowing port 139 open on the
    Net.

  2. Re: Filesharing on the Net

    Some ISPs are blocking SMB ports. My ISP (Comcast) started doing this
    recently. On one recent occasion some puzzling circumstances like you are
    describing were explained when I found that although my ISP was blocking
    ports 137-139, they weren't (yet) blocking 445. The result was that I
    connect over the internet to a Windows 2000 server, but not files shared by
    a Samba 2.x Server. When I upgraded the Samba server to version 3 it was
    then accessible too.

    Is your PC running Win9x, or Win2000/XP? What about your friend's PC?

    Hope this gives you a useful clue --

    Jim

    PS -- this was just experimenting. In the long run I firewalled the servers
    with a Snapgear router that lets me set up VPN access to the servers. I
    don't want to turn this into a commercial, but they have a $199 router that
    is incredibly versatile and easy to set up (and based on Linux). I now use a
    Snapgear router at home and work, and let them create a secure tunnel that
    gets around the ISP's port blocking. There was a great likelyhood that
    Comcast would notice that newer Windows OS uses port 445, and start
    filtering that as well.

    "Domain105" wrote in message

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Somethings been bugging me for a while now so I thought I'd ask the
    > question.
    >
    > Scenario...
    >
    > I've got a Origo DSL router with only one PC on the network. Router
    > is set to DMZ to my pc (192.168.0.1) so all ports should be forwarded
    > to my PC. Pc has firewall running
    >
    > If I disable my firewall go to shields up and check my file sharing,
    > Sheilds up comes in on port 139 and shows my shares as exopected.
    >
    > But If I go to my friends PC and try to see my shares with the
    > firewall disabled I get Network Path Not Found with only Packets from
    > port 80 registering on my PC?
    >
    > So my question is, why is Shields up coming in ok and not another PC
    > on the internet.
    >
    > If I try \\my fiends IP address I see his shares when he disables his
    > firewall but when he does the same to me he gets Network path not
    > found. Doesn't make sense.
    >
    > domain105
    >

    > PLEASE NOTE:
    >
    > I am fully aware of the implications of allowing port 139 open on the
    > Net.

+ Reply to Thread