I have Samba 2.2.8a and 3.0.0 on a Solaris 8 server, which has NFS
mounted partitions from other Solaris servers, or (our final target) a
1.2Tb array from a Mac Xserv.

I can copy a 400meg file from an OS X client to a local disk on the
Samba server in a few tens of seconds. I can cp such a file through
the NFS to the remote partition in a few tens of seconds. If I try to
copy from the client through Samba to the NFS partition, it takes tens
of *minutes* (same for ftp).

I've played with various NFS and Samba tunables to no avail. Does
anyone know why the combination of Samba and NFS should be such a
bottleneck for writes? And is there anything that can be done about
it?

(FYI I can read the file from the NFS partition to the client in a
minute or so).

Thanks,

John Harper
Academic Computing Coordinator