Samba mounts not seen - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba mounts not seen - SMB ; Given the smb.conf listed below, one would expect to see one's home directory and a share called 'findata' available. However, one can see neither the workgroup nor the share. The process is running (/usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf), and a VMware ...

  1. Samba mounts not seen

    Given the smb.conf listed below, one would expect to see one's home
    directory and a share called 'findata' available. However, one can
    see neither the workgroup nor the share. The process is running
    (/usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf), and a VMware samba server
    on the same machine works fine.

    This file was taken from the examples/smb.conf.default distributed
    with RH9. It passes testparm and testprns. Why, one wonders, can't
    the server be seen? My LAN is 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0.

    Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

    #======================= Global Settings
    =====================================
    [global]

    # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
    workgroup = mygroup

    server string = samba server
    encrypt passwords = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY

    # Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
    # If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
    # here. See the man page for details.
    ; interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

    # Browser Control Options:
    # set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
    # browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
    ; local master = no

    # WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
    # behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
    # at least one WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
    ; wins proxy = yes

    # DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS
    names
    # via DNS nslookups. The default is NO.
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    guest ok = yes
    dns proxy = no

    # These scripts are used on a domain controller or stand-alone
    # machine to add or delete corresponding unix accounts
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
    add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
    /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
    delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdle %u
    delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %g
    delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g

    ==============================
    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes

    # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /usr/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    printable = yes

    [findata]
    comment = Quicken data
    path = /home/findata
    writeable = yes

  2. Re: Samba mounts not seen

    Comments inline

    Jared wrote:
    > Given the smb.conf listed below, one would expect to see one's home
    > directory and a share called 'findata' available. However, one can
    > see neither the workgroup nor the share. The process is running
    > (/usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/samba/smb.conf), and a VMware samba server
    > on the same machine works fine.
    >
    > This file was taken from the examples/smb.conf.default distributed
    > with RH9. It passes testparm and testprns. Why, one wonders, can't
    > the server be seen? My LAN is 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
    >
    > #======================= Global Settings
    > =====================================
    > [global]
    >
    > # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
    > workgroup = mygroup
    >
    > server string = samba server
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY

    Netbios name = nameofmylinuxpc
    os level = 65
    preferred master = Yes

    > # Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
    > # If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
    > # here. See the man page for details.
    > ; interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24
    >
    > # Browser Control Options:
    > # set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
    > # browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
    > ; local master = no
    >
    > # WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
    > # behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
    > # at least one WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
    > ; wins proxy = yes
    >
    > # DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS
    > names
    > # via DNS nslookups. The default is NO.
    > username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    > guest ok = yes
    > dns proxy = no
    >
    > # These scripts are used on a domain controller or stand-alone
    > # machine to add or delete corresponding unix accounts
    > add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
    > add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
    > add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
    > /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
    > delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdle %u
    > delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %g
    > delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g

    > #============================ Share Definitions
    > ==============================
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > browseable = no
    > writeable = yes
    >

    > # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
    >

    > [printers]
    > comment = All Printers
    > path = /usr/spool/samba
    > browseable = no
    > # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    > printable = yes
    >

    > [findata]
    > comment = Quicken data
    > path = /home/findata
    > writeable = yes

    browseable =yes

    See my webpage for further help and explanations

    --
    Regards,
    Mark

  3. Re: Samba mounts not seen

    Mark,

    I followed your suggestions (and read your web pages - very nice
    explanations), and reread the Coriolis quick setup guide chapter on
    Samba. I am now at a point where, using 'net view' under Win2K, the
    server is seen; but I cannot see any shares under it, either in
    Network Neighborhood, trying to map under Windows Explorer or doing a
    'net use' in a command window (I erased all .pwl files before retrying
    this and of course bounced the Samba server after amending the
    smb.conf file). Aside from your suggestions, the only other change I
    made was to change the workgroup to 'WORKGROUP' and added a user list
    for one of the shares.

    More important - I cannot see the server itself running findsmb on the
    machine I am running Samba on. I can see a share I set up on the
    Win2K PC. Samba version is 3.0.1, btw, running under RH9.

    One wonders if it is an NMB problem. I do see it running as a daemon
    in the process list ('nmbd -D').

    Thank you for your help. I will keep hacking away (no pun intended)
    until I figure this out.

    Kind regards,

    Jared

+ Reply to Thread