Master Samba user needed, quotas... - SMB

This is a discussion on Master Samba user needed, quotas... - SMB ; Does anyone know how to get quotas working in Samba? I have done everything humanly possible, but it keeps reporting the whole drive space available and not the quota limits I have set. These are Windows workstations accessing the Samba ...

  1. Master Samba user needed, quotas...

    Does anyone know how to get quotas working in Samba? I have done everything
    humanly possible, but it keeps reporting the whole drive space available and
    not the quota limits I have set.

    These are Windows workstations accessing the Samba server.

  2. Re: Master Samba user needed, quotas...

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:37:59 -0500, "Jesse Godsey"
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know how to get quotas working in Samba? I have done everything
    >humanly possible, but it keeps reporting the whole drive space available and
    >not the quota limits I have set.
    >
    >These are Windows workstations accessing the Samba server.

    you may want to check

    http://lists.lugod.org/pipermail/vox...er/003303.html

    for a guideline

    an "howto" to install quotas .. I did not try it out yet but it seems
    quite more "work" than expected :-)

  3. Re: Master Samba user needed, quotas...

    I have already done all the suggested in this article. That is not the
    problem, the problem is the quota is working, but the Windows workstations
    through Samba are seeing the full drive size and not the quota sizes I have
    set.

    Thanks anyway though.

    "imbsysop" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:37:59 -0500, "Jesse Godsey"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone know how to get quotas working in Samba? I have done

    everything
    > >humanly possible, but it keeps reporting the whole drive space available

    and
    > >not the quota limits I have set.
    > >
    > >These are Windows workstations accessing the Samba server.
    > >

    > you may want to check
    >
    > http://lists.lugod.org/pipermail/vox...er/003303.html
    >
    > for a guideline
    >
    > an "howto" to install quotas .. I did not try it out yet but it seems
    > quite more "work" than expected :-)

  4. Re: Master Samba user needed, quotas...

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:30:55 -0500, "Jesse Godsey"
    wrote:

    >I have already done all the suggested in this article. That is not the
    >problem, the problem is the quota is working, but the Windows workstations
    >through Samba are seeing the full drive size and not the quota sizes I have
    >set.

    I think you will not see the quota set but you will probably be warned
    if/when any user exceeds the limits set ... just MHO

  5. Re: Master Samba user needed, quotas...

    Well if thats the case, what good is quota??? I mean come one, we should be
    able to see what is left and have it report correctly to the workstations.
    Also, will it then let you exceed your limits if what you are saying is
    true? I mean the hard limits.

    Thanks.

    The tone of the message is not directed at you, but geese.

    "imbsysop" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:30:55 -0500, "Jesse Godsey"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have already done all the suggested in this article. That is not the
    > >problem, the problem is the quota is working, but the Windows

    workstations
    > >through Samba are seeing the full drive size and not the quota sizes I

    have
    > >set.
    > >

    > I think you will not see the quota set but you will probably be warned
    > if/when any user exceeds the limits set ... just MHO

  6. Re: Master Samba user needed, quotas...

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:16:36 -0500, "Jesse Godsey"
    wrote:

    >Well if thats the case, what good is quota??? I mean come one, we should be
    >able to see what is left and have it report correctly to the workstations.
    >Also, will it then let you exceed your limits if what you are saying is
    >true? I mean the hard limits.

    I dunno for sure but I've read the linux man pages and from what I
    remember the system issues warnings when near quota limit and I think
    locks access if x% over? quota ...

  7. Re: Master Samba user needed, quotas...

    "Jesse Godsey" wrote in message
    > Well if thats the case, what good is quota??? I mean come one, we should

    be
    > able to see what is left and have it report correctly to the workstations.
    > Also, will it then let you exceed your limits if what you are saying is
    > true? I mean the hard limits.

    Quota is quota, disk space left is disk space left.
    Two different things...

    It would be nice to have disk space left for each user I guess,
    but this would be too much work for the samba server I assume.
    Each time a client wants disk space left, the server would have
    to find the size of all the files in the current share,
    subtract the total from the quota number and then return free
    space to the client... _for each request_

    This could be made faster with some crazy caching in the
    server, but it would still be very hard to maintain in a
    consistent state.

    Roald

  8. Re: Master Samba user needed, quotas...

    This is already being tracked by quota, so I am not sure where you are
    coming from. All samba has to do is report what quota is already tacking.
    If you read about quota and samba you will see that your comments are
    unfounded.

    "Roald Ribe" wrote in message

    > "Jesse Godsey" wrote in message
    > > Well if thats the case, what good is quota??? I mean come one, we

    should
    > be
    > > able to see what is left and have it report correctly to the

    workstations.
    > > Also, will it then let you exceed your limits if what you are saying is
    > > true? I mean the hard limits.

    > Quota is quota, disk space left is disk space left.
    > Two different things...
    >
    > It would be nice to have disk space left for each user I guess,
    > but this would be too much work for the samba server I assume.
    > Each time a client wants disk space left, the server would have
    > to find the size of all the files in the current share,
    > subtract the total from the quota number and then return free
    > space to the client... _for each request_
    >
    > This could be made faster with some crazy caching in the
    > server, but it would still be very hard to maintain in a
    > consistent state.
    >
    > Roald

+ Reply to Thread