windows xp shares... - SMB

This is a discussion on windows xp shares... - SMB ; Hello, I remember seeing some thing about this but like everything else when you realy need it you cant find it... Im trying to mount my windows xp drive for one of my linux box (fedora) that is running samba ...

  1. windows xp shares...

    Hello,

    I remember seeing some thing about this but like
    everything else when you realy need it you cant
    find it...

    Im trying to mount my windows xp drive for one
    of my linux box (fedora) that is running samba 3.0
    with this command (the same I was using on
    windows 2000)

    smbmount //10.1.1.13/c$ /mnt/laptop/ -o username=charettec

    But for some reason I cant mount any of these drive "c$",
    "d$" "e$", but if i create a share named "c" it works!

    What's wrong with c$?

    Thanks
    Christian

  2. Re: windows xp shares...

    In article ,
    Christian wrote:
    > But for some reason I cant mount any of these drive "c$",
    > "d$" "e$", but if i create a share named "c" it works!
    >
    > What's wrong with c$?

    "$" is a special character for Unix shells. To use a literal "$"
    character you must use a \ backslash to escape it or strong quoting
    (apostrophes):
    smbclient //server/c\$
    mount -t smbfs -o username=username%password '//server/c$' /mount/point

    I never recommend "man bash" to a newbie. It's hard reading. There are,
    however, numerous shell tutorials which can help you get the basics. I
    think shell understanding is important to get the most out of GNU/Linux,
    so you might want to read one of those when you can.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

  3. Re: windows xp shares...

    I tried it using the backslash and with the apostrophes
    and it'still not working...

    I get :
    tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You
    specified an invalid share name)

    but if I do :
    smbclient -L 10.1.1.13

    I get :
    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    G$ Disk Default share
    F$ Disk Default share
    ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
    C$ Disk Default share

    So as you can see C$ is there and it's shared.... but for
    some reason I just can access it!

    Thanks
    Christian

    > > What's wrong with C$?

    > "$" is a special character for Unix shells. To use a literal "$"
    > character you must use a \ backslash to escape it or strong quoting
    > (apostrophes):
    > smbclient //server/C\$
    > mount -t smbfs -o username=username%password '//server/C$'

    /mount/point

  4. Re: windows xp shares...

    Christian wrote:
    > smbmount //10.1.1.13/c$ /mnt/laptop/ -o username=charettec
    >
    > But for some reason I cant mount any of these drive "c$",
    > "d$" "e$", but if i create a share named "c" it works!

    Does the username charettec have Administrator privleges to the machine
    on //10.1.1.13? Usually, the default admin shares require this.

    Ben

  5. Re: windows xp shares...

    > Does the username charettec have Administrator privleges to the machine
    > on //10.1.1.13? Usually, the default admin shares require this.

    yep it's part of the Admin group...

    C.

  6. Re: windows xp shares...

    In article <6e7Pb.68348$IF6.1649351@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
    Christian wrote:
    > smbclient -L 10.1.1.13
    > [snip]
    > So as you can see C$ is there and it's shared.... but for
    > some reason I just can access it!

    These were my examples:

    >> smbclient //server/C\$
    >> mount -t smbfs -o username=username%password '//server/C$' /mount/point

    They use a NetBIOS name, "server", rather than the IP. Look at the
    "servicename" and "-I IP-address" sections of the smbclient(1) man page
    for a discussion of NetBIOS name resolution.

    Just an idea. The "$" issue was real, a shell issue. Now it appears you
    are having a SMB issue. What is being logged on the server? Did you try
    a higher -d debug level in smbclient?

    BTW, don't bother trying to mount until you can connect with smbclient.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

  7. Re: windows xp shares...

    In article , I wrote:
    > Just an idea. The "$" issue was real, a shell issue. Now it appears you

    Oops. I tried this and it seems I was wrong about that. Still, the
    quoting, even if unnecessary, should not have hurt anything.
    #v+
    $ echo c$ ; $ echo c\$ ; echo 'c$'
    c$
    c$
    c$
    #v-
    Sorry for the false lead, and I hope you can get it sorted out.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

  8. Re: windows xp shares...

    > > Just an idea. The "$" issue was real, a shell issue. Now it appears you

    > Oops. I tried this and it seems I was wrong about that. Still, the
    > quoting, even if unnecessary, should not have hurt anything.
    > #v+
    > $ echo c$ ; $ echo c\$ ; echo 'c$'
    > c$
    > c$
    > c$
    > #v-
    > Sorry for the false lead, and I hope you can get it sorted out.

    Heheh no worry, it's working when I use the netbios name :c)

    This is strange now that I cant use the ip...

    Thanks
    Christian

  9. Re: windows xp shares...

    In article ,
    Christian wrote:
    > Heheh no worry, it's working when I use the netbios name :c)
    >
    > This is strange now that I cant use the ip...

    Ah, no, I don't think that's strange; I think that's how the protocol
    works. Note that the man page says the //server element of "servicename"
    is not necessarily a DNS- nor hosts-resolvable hostname. The NetBIOS
    name is required.

    Remember, Microsoft launched this mess back in DOS days, when it was
    known as LanMan (or something like that. They didn't speak TCP/IP in
    DOS. NetBEUI hosts chatted among their small networks, and that was the
    only way for them to know who was out there. TCP/IP didn't come until
    Win95, and IIRC it was a "Plus!" addon. TCP/IP quickly won out, though,
    and with NT4 and successors it became the default networking protocol.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

  10. Re: windows xp shares...

    > > This is strange now that I cant use the ip...
    >
    > Ah, no, I don't think that's strange; I think that's how the protocol
    > works. Note that the man page says the //server element of "servicename"
    > is not necessarily a DNS- nor hosts-resolvable hostname. The NetBIOS
    > name is required.

    Ya I know but it's still strage, this was working flawlessly on win2k and
    samba 2.7...

    Thanks again Rob

    Christian

  11. Re: windows xp shares...

    Christian wrote:

    > Ya I know but it's still strage, this was working flawlessly on win2k and
    > samba 2.7...

    To add my $0.02: When I try the other way round (accessing samba-shares with
    a Windows box) I usually have to give the IP of the samba-server because it
    is not found when using the netbios-name.

    Cheers,
    --
    Michael Frotscher
    Institute of Inorganic and Applied Chemistry

+ Reply to Thread