Newby needs Help - SMB

This is a discussion on Newby needs Help - SMB ; I really want to convert to linux so my best bet was to setup a 2nd PC next to my XP machine and occationaly play with Linux, Now I need to network them together so I can run one mouse ...

  1. Newby needs Help

    I really want to convert to linux so my best bet was to setup a 2nd PC next
    to my XP machine and occationaly play with Linux, Now I need to network them
    together so I can run one mouse and one keyboard for both machines, the only
    problem I have is how can I figure out how to learn even the simple task of
    installing a program in linux I want to install Samba but the only thing I
    hae accomplished was how to download it, I would like to get this moving
    without having to learn to walk again.

  2. Re: Newby needs Help

    artwork wrote:
    > I really want to convert to linux so my best bet was to setup a 2nd PC next
    > to my XP machine and occationaly play with Linux, Now I need to network them
    > together so I can run one mouse and one keyboard for both machines, the only

    This is not a Samba issue. Samba is a Unix-based server for Windows file
    and printer sharing.

    What you're talking about here could be done somewhat with a ssh client
    for Windows such as putty.exe. This is similar to what I did a few years
    ago (except I used telnet rather than ssh.) You can learn your way
    around the command line quite well this way. Very little in GNU/Linux
    requires a GUI for basic function; there are even numerous text-mode Web
    browsers.

    I have a feeling that what you want and expect is a GUI in Linux just as
    you're used to in Windows. For that you will either need a hardware
    solution (KVM switch) or VNC. All of that is way off topic in a place
    like this. There are hundreds, thousands of sites which cater to Linux
    GNUbies such as yourself.

    > problem I have is how can I figure out how to learn even the simple task of
    > installing a program in linux I want to install Samba but the only thing I

    The details of how to install programs varies by distro. Consult the
    documentation for your distro. All major distros to my knowledge already
    include Samba. Depending on the choices you made at install time, you
    likely already have it installed.

    > hae accomplished was how to download it,

    What you probably downloaded was the source code, and yes, that can be
    installed by following the instructions in the tar file (which are no
    doubt also posted on samba.org mirrors.) But, given this ...

    > I would like to get this moving without having to learn to walk again.

    .... I think this is not the direction in which you wish to go. The
    answers you want may have been provided by your distro. If you
    downloaded it, check to see what documentation they provide online. You
    might want to reconsider and buy a book with a CD, or buy a boxed set.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

  3. Re: Newby needs Help

    "/dev/rob0" wrote in message
    > artwork wrote:
    > > I really want to convert to linux so my best bet was to setup a 2nd PC

    next
    > > to my XP machine and occationaly play with Linux, Now I need to network

    them
    > > together so I can run one mouse and one keyboard for both machines, the

    only

    > This is not a Samba issue. Samba is a Unix-based server for Windows file
    > and printer sharing.

    correct.

    snip
    > I have a feeling that what you want and expect is a GUI in Linux just as
    > you're used to in Windows. For that you will either need a hardware
    > solution (KVM switch) or VNC. ..

    I'm running VNC to my full satisfaction ie I'm doing my linux (samba) server
    maintenance from my WinXP machine ..
    ...but indeed this is OT here :-)

  4. Re: Newby needs Help

    "imbsysop" on Samstag, 17. Jšnner 2004 at 12:29 +0100
    wrote:
    >I'm running VNC to my full satisfaction ie I'm doing my linux (samba)
    >server
    >maintenance from my WinXP machine ..

    synergy (look at SourceForge) allows controlling 2 screens next to each
    other with one set of mouse and keyboard; 2 scrrens are necessary. Just
    makes things easier

    --
    -s-
    in aeternum sine lucis.