Remote Linux Samba Share, Connecting With Windows XP (FAILURE). - SMB

This is a discussion on Remote Linux Samba Share, Connecting With Windows XP (FAILURE). - SMB ; Not for the life of me can I connect my at home Windows XP machine to my at work remote Samba shares. I can ping the server fine, I can telnet/SSH in and login to the Samba shares just fine ...

  1. Remote Linux Samba Share, Connecting With Windows XP (FAILURE).

    Not for the life of me can I connect my at home Windows XP machine to my at
    work remote Samba shares. I can ping the server fine, I can telnet/SSH in
    and login to the Samba shares just fine and everything.

    Any clues?

    Lost

    ---

  2. Re: Remote Linux Samba Share, Connecting With Windows XP (FAILURE).

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:34:56 -0500,
    maven@-nospam-techie.com , in
    <35GdncjHsIjaLpvdRVn-hw@comcast.com> wrote:
    >+ Not for the life of me can I connect my at home Windows XP machine to my at
    >+ work remote Samba shares. I can ping the server fine, I can telnet/SSH in
    >+ and login to the Samba shares just fine and everything.
    >+
    >+ Any clues?

    Most likely, the relevent Microsoft file/print sharing ports are being
    filtered by either your employer, your ISP, or quite possibly, *both*.

    Your only hope is a VPN or SSL tunnel. Alternatively, you might use
    something like OpenAFS.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.