File permissions have no effect - SMB

This is a discussion on File permissions have no effect - SMB ; I have a small NT 4.0 domain with windows domain controllers. I have a server running samba 3.01 the samba server authenticates users through winbind. I have the following share set up [Library] comment = Document Library valid users = ...

  1. File permissions have no effect

    I have a small NT 4.0 domain with windows domain controllers. I have a
    server running samba 3.01 the samba server authenticates users through
    winbind.

    I have the following share set up
    [Library]
    comment = Document Library
    valid users = @"Domain Users",@"Domain Admins"
    writeable = yes
    delete readonly = no
    create mode = 644
    directory mode = 755
    path = /var/www/localhost/htdocs/pdf

    When a user creates a file through network neighbourhood it is created
    with the correct (644) permissions, however any user connecting
    through network neighbourhood can edit or delete files.

    Even if I create a file that is 644 owned by root (who doesn't exist
    on the domain) all domain users can still edit and delete the file.

    If I check the file security through windows it lists the owner as
    having Special Access (RW) and everyone as having Special Access (R)

    Where am I going wrong

  2. Re: File permissions have no effect

    Can you post the [Global] section of smb.conf?

    "Jonathan Pappworth" wrote in message
    news:2c74a1d4.0401130513.7eb6f383@posting.google.c om...
    > I have a small NT 4.0 domain with windows domain controllers. I have a
    > server running samba 3.01 the samba server authenticates users through
    > winbind.
    >
    > I have the following share set up
    > [Library]
    > comment = Document Library
    > valid users = @"Domain Users",@"Domain Admins"
    > writeable = yes
    > delete readonly = no
    > create mode = 644
    > directory mode = 755
    > path = /var/www/localhost/htdocs/pdf
    >
    > When a user creates a file through network neighbourhood it is created
    > with the correct (644) permissions, however any user connecting
    > through network neighbourhood can edit or delete files.
    >
    > Even if I create a file that is 644 owned by root (who doesn't exist
    > on the domain) all domain users can still edit and delete the file.
    >
    > If I check the file security through windows it lists the owner as
    > having Special Access (RW) and everyone as having Special Access (R)
    >
    > Where am I going wrong

+ Reply to Thread