run linux script from windows? - SMB

This is a discussion on run linux script from windows? - SMB ; Hi, Is the following possible? "Windows 2000 Pro machine (or other client!), connected to a Linux/Samba (v3) shared drive. There is a linux script on that share. When the windows user double-clicks the script, it runs on the samba server ...

  1. run linux script from windows?

    Hi,

    Is the following possible?

    "Windows 2000 Pro machine (or other client!), connected to a Linux/Samba
    (v3) shared drive.
    There is a linux script on that share. When the windows user
    double-clicks the script, it runs on the samba server (not locally on
    the windows machine)."

    This may be real simple, but I'm just a little on the confused side!!

    any help would be appreciated.

    cheers
    Eoin

  2. Re: run linux script from windows?

    Hi,

    when you double-click on a file, it's always executed on the local machine.
    You cannot run a script on the server by double-clicking it on the client on
    a samba-share. But you can run scripts on the Server using a Webserver and
    i.e. CGI or using a ssh-session.

    regards,
    Stefan Weiss

    >>> Eoin Verling 13.01.2004 13:45:44 >>>

    Hi,

    Is the following possible?

    "Windows 2000 Pro machine (or other client!), connected to a Linux/Samba
    (v3) shared drive.
    There is a linux script on that share. When the windows user
    double-clicks the script, it runs on the samba server (not locally on
    the windows machine)."

    This may be real simple, but I'm just a little on the confused side!!

    any help would be appreciated.

    cheers
    Eoin

  3. Re: run linux script from windows?

    In article <4003f76d$1@news.punkt.de>,
    "Stefan Weiss" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > when you double-click on a file, it's always executed on the local machine.
    > You cannot run a script on the server by double-clicking it on the client on
    > a samba-share. But you can run scripts on the Server using a Webserver and
    > i.e. CGI or using a ssh-session.

    Thanks for your help, I guess I'll go that route.

    cheers