Access Windows XP Home from Linux - SMB

This is a discussion on Access Windows XP Home from Linux - SMB ; Hello, I am trying to access Windows XP Home from Redhat 9 Linux. I don't have the samba server installed on Linux, nor do I care to. The windows machine: Username: USER Password: 1234 NetBIOS name: HOME1 Workgroup: MSHOME smbclient ...

  1. Access Windows XP Home from Linux

    Hello,

    I am trying to access Windows XP Home from Redhat 9 Linux. I don't
    have the samba server installed on Linux, nor do I care to.

    The windows machine:
    Username: USER
    Password: 1234
    NetBIOS name: HOME1
    Workgroup: MSHOME

    smbclient version: 2.2.7a-security-rollup-fix

    $ smbclient -L HOME1
    added interface ip=192.168.0.20 bcast=192.168.0.255
    nmask=255.255.255.0
    Password:
    Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
    print$ Disk Printer Drivers
    Test Disk

    Server Comment
    --------- -------
    HOME1 USERs Home Computer

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    MSHOME HOME1

    Now "Test" was created by USER and shared by USER.

    So I try:

    $ smbclient //HOME1/Test -W MSHOME -U USER
    added interface ip=192.168.0.20 bcast=192.168.0.255
    nmask=255.255.255.0
    Password:
    Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    smb: \> put test
    NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED opening remote file \test

    I of course entered the correct password for user. When I go to the
    Windows box though, pull up Computer Management, I see USER logged in
    but it shows "Yes" in the guest column. Obviously I shouldn't be a
    guest.

    So I try it again, this time entering the wrong password:

    $ smbclient //HOME1/Test -W MSHOME -U USER
    added interface ip=192.168.0.20 bcast=192.168.0.255
    nmask=255.255.255.0
    Password:
    Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    smb: \>

    It still logs me in! What's going on here?!

    Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: Access Windows XP Home from Linux

    Apple Tree wrote:

    > $ smbclient -L HOME1
    > added interface ip=192.168.0.20 bcast=192.168.0.255
    > nmask=255.255.255.0
    > Password:

    This connection is being made as a guest, so maybe XP is caching these
    credentials? Like how you cant map drives to an NT server under two
    different user names. Try disconnecting the guest connection, then
    reauthenticate. SMB is hobbled on XP Home, as well, so you might be
    running into limitations there, too.

    Ben

  3. Re: Access Windows XP Home from Linux

    > This connection is being made as a guest, so maybe XP is caching these
    > credentials? Like how you cant map drives to an NT server under two
    > different user names. Try disconnecting the guest connection, then
    > reauthenticate. SMB is hobbled on XP Home, as well, so you might be
    > running into limitations there, too.

    Thanks for your response. Actually I have already tried this (in all
    different forms). Any other ideas?

+ Reply to Thread