Linux to another Linux Samba share - SMB

This is a discussion on Linux to another Linux Samba share - SMB ; I am not sure if this is stupid but I am setting up more Linux standalone machines replacing Windows and how do I set up these Linux boxes to browse and access the Samba shares on main server as this ...

  1. Linux to another Linux Samba share

    I am not sure if this is stupid but I am setting up more Linux
    standalone machines replacing Windows and how do I set up these Linux
    boxes to browse and access the Samba shares on main server as this where
    I keep all necessary data. It is a Peer to Peer network. Using Suse 8.2
    but there seems to no network browsing program that I can find. The
    Shares are on P 172.16.1.2

    Thanks

  2. Re: Linux to another Linux Samba share

    In article ,
    Phil McClure wrote:
    > I am not sure if this is stupid but I am setting up more Linux
    > standalone machines replacing Windows and how do I set up these Linux
    > boxes to browse and access the Samba shares on main server as this where

    Not stupid, but not ideal, because Samba shares lack the functionality
    of a Unix filesystem. Normally NFS is used for Unix-to-Unix filesharing.

    If, however, you have hostile or untrusted users on the network, Samba
    may be a bit more secure.

    > I keep all necessary data. It is a Peer to Peer network. Using Suse 8.2
    > but there seems to no network browsing program that I can find. The

    Samba includes smbclient! And there are numerous GUI frontends for it.
    KDE's konqueror browser also includes SMB: "smb://server/share". There
    are scores of SMB client choices, and SuSE probably supports them all.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

  3. Re: Linux to another Linux Samba share

    I'm in a similar situation where I have a linux server with samba,
    several Windows machiens, and a linux laptop. I prefer to use my
    laptop however when I try to view samba shared I keep getting asked
    for a password (even navigating up the file hierarchy...really every
    move I make). Is there a way to alleviate this?

    thanks,
    John

    /dev/rob0 wrote in message news:...
    > In article ,
    > Phil McClure wrote:
    > > I am not sure if this is stupid but I am setting up more Linux
    > > standalone machines replacing Windows and how do I set up these Linux
    > > boxes to browse and access the Samba shares on main server as this where

    > Not stupid, but not ideal, because Samba shares lack the functionality
    > of a Unix filesystem. Normally NFS is used for Unix-to-Unix filesharing.
    >
    > If, however, you have hostile or untrusted users on the network, Samba
    > may be a bit more secure.
    >
    > > I keep all necessary data. It is a Peer to Peer network. Using Suse 8.2
    > > but there seems to no network browsing program that I can find. The

    > Samba includes smbclient! And there are numerous GUI frontends for it.
    > KDE's konqueror browser also includes SMB: "smb://server/share". There
    > are scores of SMB client choices, and SuSE probably supports them all.

+ Reply to Thread