Deleting all files from a share - SMB

This is a discussion on Deleting all files from a share - SMB ; I have a directory on Unix exposed as a Samba share. All the filenames are greater than 8.3 format. When I go to this directory from a DOS prompt and do 'del *.*', I get a bunch of errors 'Unable ...

  1. Deleting all files from a share

    I have a directory on Unix exposed as a Samba share. All the filenames are
    greater than 8.3 format. When I go to this directory from a DOS prompt and
    do 'del *.*', I get a bunch of errors 'Unable to find file ...'..

    But, if the directory contained 500 files, after the 'del *.*' it contains
    400 files.

    I repeat the del *.*, get a few more errors Unable to find file ... and
    now my files are down to 300. And so on.

    When I copy the directory to a native NTFS filesystem, I dont get these
    issues. del *.* removes all files in one shot.

    What is wrong here? Do I need to play with the mangling parameters in
    smb.conf? My file names are something like 11.12.10.3 format. Most of the
    files have the first 11 characters the same.

    If I do a 'dir /x', I get the 8.3 filenames fine with no apparent
    collision, so why does del *.* have a problem?

    Thanks for any help

  2. Re: Deleting all files from a share

    Have you tried just using
    del *

    Mark

    "Vikas Agnihotri" wrote in message
    newspr1oez6fm3k814u@news.fu-berlin.de...
    > I have a directory on Unix exposed as a Samba share. All the filenames are
    > greater than 8.3 format. When I go to this directory from a DOS prompt and
    > do 'del *.*', I get a bunch of errors 'Unable to find file ...'..
    >
    > But, if the directory contained 500 files, after the 'del *.*' it contains
    > 400 files.
    >
    > I repeat the del *.*, get a few more errors Unable to find file ... and
    > now my files are down to 300. And so on.
    >
    > When I copy the directory to a native NTFS filesystem, I dont get these
    > issues. del *.* removes all files in one shot.
    >
    > What is wrong here? Do I need to play with the mangling parameters in
    > smb.conf? My file names are something like 11.12.10.3 format. Most of the
    > files have the first 11 characters the same.
    >
    > If I do a 'dir /x', I get the 8.3 filenames fine with no apparent
    > collision, so why does del *.* have a problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any help

+ Reply to Thread