Memory leak with 3.0 and XP? - SMB

This is a discussion on Memory leak with 3.0 and XP? - SMB ; I'm having problems with our XP clients causing samba 3.0 (RPM from Redhat Enterprise Server 3) to leak memory. Has anyone else noticed this or better still got a fix? It's rather odd as it is only ever one user/process ...

  1. Memory leak with 3.0 and XP?

    I'm having problems with our XP clients causing samba 3.0 (RPM from
    Redhat Enterprise Server 3) to leak memory.

    Has anyone else noticed this or better still got a fix?

    It's rather odd as it is only ever one user/process which seems to cause
    this at any one time. That makes me suspect something in the domain code
    rather than the fileserver or printserver.

    All suggestions gratefully received as my server keeps running out of
    memory.

  2. Re: Memory leak with 3.0 and XP?

    Kevin Thorpe wrote:
    > I'm having problems with our XP clients causing samba 3.0 (RPM from
    > Redhat Enterprise Server 3) to leak memory.
    >
    > Has anyone else noticed this or better still got a fix?
    >
    > It's rather odd as it is only ever one user/process which seems to cause
    > this at any one time. That makes me suspect something in the domain code
    > rather than the fileserver or printserver.
    >
    > All suggestions gratefully received as my server keeps running out of
    > memory.

    Don't me to sound rude, but
    - how do you know that there is a memory leak on the RH server?
    - how do you know that it is the SAMBA server leaking it ?
    - is it nmbd or smbd, that you suspect is leaking the memory ?
    - what are you doing that causes the memory leak ?

    Thanks,
    Sunny

  3. Re: Memory leak with 3.0 and XP?

    sunny wrote:
    > Kevin Thorpe wrote:
    >
    >> I'm having problems with our XP clients causing samba 3.0 (RPM from
    >> Redhat Enterprise Server 3) to leak memory.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else noticed this or better still got a fix?
    >>
    >> It's rather odd as it is only ever one user/process which seems to
    >> cause this at any one time. That makes me suspect something in the
    >> domain code rather than the fileserver or printserver.
    >>
    >> All suggestions gratefully received as my server keeps running out of
    >> memory.
    >>

    > Don't me to sound rude, but
    > - how do you know that there is a memory leak on the RH server?
    > - how do you know that it is the SAMBA server leaking it ?
    > - is it nmbd or smbd, that you suspect is leaking the memory ?
    > - what are you doing that causes the memory leak ?

    top shows one (and only one) smbd increasing at around 1Mb every 10
    seconds. Even with 1Gb available this soon starts to kill things off
    (lots of 'fork: can't allocate memory' messages in the logs).

    Other things I've noted:

    Only one smbd exhibits this behaviour at a time.

    The offending smbd is only ever one belonging to an XP client.

    Rebooting the client connected with the offending smbd frees
    (eventually) all the memory. Then another smbd or the new one starts
    doing the same thing.

    I've now got this isolated to the [print$] share so I'll recreate it and
    see if things change.

  4. Re: Memory leak with 3.0 and XP?

    Kevin Thorpe wrote:
    > I've now got this isolated to the [print$] share so I'll recreate it and
    > see if things change.

    Are you using the [print$] share for providing Printer drivers ?
    Because it is a special share (from the perspective of Windows systems).
    If all you want is another share, try changing this name to something
    else.

    Althought, the symptoms you are seeing are certainly interesting.

    Sunny

  5. Re: Memory leak with 3.0 and XP?

    sunny wrote:
    > Kevin Thorpe wrote:
    >
    >> I've now got this isolated to the [print$] share so I'll recreate it
    >> and see if things change.
    >>

    > Are you using the [print$] share for providing Printer drivers ?
    > Because it is a special share (from the perspective of Windows systems).
    > If all you want is another share, try changing this name to something
    > else.
    >
    > Althought, the symptoms you are seeing are certainly interesting.
    >
    > Sunny

    That's what I was using [print$] for. I'm using CUPS and had the Adobe
    PS drivers in there to run all our printers from. Sharing the actual
    printers works just fine, I just have to install the drivers from
    elsewhere (actually the print$ share renamed). It's obviously something
    to do with point-and-print (more like point and I'll crash your server -
    as Microsoft stuff often is).

  6. Re: Memory leak with 3.0 and XP?

    Kevin Thorpe wrote:
    > sunny wrote:
    >
    >> Kevin Thorpe wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've now got this isolated to the [print$] share so I'll recreate it
    >>> and see if things change.
    >>>

    >> Are you using the [print$] share for providing Printer drivers ?
    >> Because it is a special share (from the perspective of Windows
    >> systems). If all you want is another share, try changing this name to
    >> something else.
    >>
    >> Althought, the symptoms you are seeing are certainly interesting.
    >>
    >> Sunny

    > That's what I was using [print$] for. I'm using CUPS and had the Adobe
    > PS drivers in there to run all our printers from. Sharing the actual
    > printers works just fine, I just have to install the drivers from
    > elsewhere (actually the print$ share renamed). It's obviously something
    > to do with point-and-print (more like point and I'll crash your server -
    > as Microsoft stuff often is).

    What you gonna do ? its microsoft.

    Anyway, what I'd do next is increase the log level high. Looks like
    what ever is happening is in a never ending loop. Which may make it
    easy to spot it in the logs.

    Sunny

+ Reply to Thread