Need a quick hand with smblog format - SMB

This is a discussion on Need a quick hand with smblog format - SMB ; When I connect my PocketPC to my Samba server, the device has a very strange name in smblog: netbios connect: local=server remote=_cerdrc9cb8005 _cerdrc9cb8005 (192.168.1.94) connect to service Music as user USER (uid=xxxx, gid=xxxx) (pid 44909) "_cerdrc9cb8005" is just an example, ...

  1. Need a quick hand with smblog format

    When I connect my PocketPC to my Samba server, the device has a very
    strange name in smblog:

    netbios connect: local=server remote=_cerdrc9cb8005
    _cerdrc9cb8005 (192.168.1.94) connect to service Music as user USER
    (uid=xxxx, gid=xxxx) (pid 44909)

    "_cerdrc9cb8005" is just an example, the exact string changes. My
    other samba clients have "normal" names in the log.

    Where is Samba getting this string from? Is this something the client
    specifies, or something that Samba is cooking up itself in the absence
    of a client-provided string?

    Either way, I want to change it to reflect the device's proper name.
    Any ideas? Can I accomplish this with a host entry? The PPC gets its
    IP from the Samba server via DHCP, but I can have it fixed and assign
    a name to it in /etc/hosts easily enough.

    I am just hoping this is not some silly Microsoft-ism infesting the
    PocketPC's network stack...

    TIA!

    - matt

  2. Re: Need a quick hand with smblog format

    M. Staroscik wrote:

    > When I connect my PocketPC to my Samba server, the device has a very
    > strange name in smblog:
    >
    > netbios connect: local=server remote=_cerdrc9cb8005
    > _cerdrc9cb8005 (192.168.1.94) connect to service Music as user USER
    > (uid=xxxx, gid=xxxx) (pid 44909)
    >
    > "_cerdrc9cb8005" is just an example, the exact string changes. My
    > other samba clients have "normal" names in the log.

    Appears to be a temporary assigned netbios name. When you give your pocketpc
    a fixed name (must be somewhere in network setup), it should transfer that
    one.

    > Where is Samba getting this string from? Is this something the client
    > specifies, or something that Samba is cooking up itself in the absence
    > of a client-provided string?

    Or the client is cooking it by himself ...

    > Either way, I want to change it to reflect the device's proper name.
    > Any ideas? Can I accomplish this with a host entry? The PPC gets its
    > IP from the Samba server via DHCP, but I can have it fixed and assign
    > a name to it in /etc/hosts easily enough.

    Rather use lmhosts.
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]

+ Reply to Thread