I'm going crazy, why can't I see the Samba shares! - SMB

This is a discussion on I'm going crazy, why can't I see the Samba shares! - SMB ; Hi, I've been trying for MONTHS to try and get a RH9 server box, to have "visible" shares. I've read loads, tried everything (I think) but still no go. I have posted here before, but it still won't work (I'm ...

  1. I'm going crazy, why can't I see the Samba shares!

    Hi,

    I've been trying for MONTHS to try and get a RH9 server box, to have
    "visible" shares. I've read loads, tried everything (I think) but still no
    go.

    I have posted here before, but it still won't work (I'm even beginning to
    get a little paranoid!).

    So, old 500MHz PC has RH9. Host name is "vmshost", IP address has been set
    to 192.168.8.100. I created (in addition to root) a user account called
    "someone". I set, via the Samba settings interface (I've loaded X on the RH
    box) the "someone" account as a Samba user with the same Samba password as
    the password to get onto the Linux box, itself.

    Now the Linux box is connected to a cheap old 10 MB/s D-Link hub. Also
    connected to the hub is a Windows 2000 PC. That PC has an account "someone"
    with exactly the same password as the Linux box and the Samba settings.
    Both the W2K (client) and the Linux box have workgroup of "VMS". For good
    measure (even though I've told ZoneAlarm to accept IP range 192.168.8.0 -
    192.168.8.255) I've turned off the firewall on the W2k client.

    When I boot the Linux box I start Samba manually within a terminal box;

    smbd -D
    nmbd -D

    "smb.conf" looks like;

    [global]
    workgroup = VMS
    [homes]
    guest ok = no
    read only = no

    I can ping the box and see it in "My Network Places", and according to the
    good old Samba manual this simple smb.conf file will "allow connections by
    anyone with an account on the server", except when I double click the
    "vmshost" icon in my network places....guess what.....\\vmshost is not
    accessible, the network path was not found".

    Even in the most basic form, it won't work...AHHHHHHHHH!!!

    Please help before I go completely mad!!!

    Steve

  2. Re: I'm going crazy, why can't I see the Samba shares!

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:17:48 +0000 (UTC),
    Steve Talbot , in
    wrote:

    >+ Both the W2K (client) and the Linux box have workgroup of "VMS". For good
    >+ measure (even though I've told ZoneAlarm to accept IP range 192.168.8.0 -
    >+ 192.168.8.255) I've turned off the firewall on the W2k client.

    My thought is that the firewall on the *linux* box is what's killing
    you. Try this, from a command line, as root

    iptables -A INPUT -t filter -s 192.168.8.0/24 -j ACCEPT

    This sets the firewall to unconditionally accept anything from that
    entire CIDR range, including the SMB ports. Try it and see if it'll
    connect. An assumption in that firewall rule is that you trust
    everything in your private network.

    As I recall, the default RH 9 install sets the security level to
    medium -- some services are open, but most are not.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: I'm going crazy, why can't I see the Samba shares!

    In article ,
    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > My thought is that the firewall on the *linux* box is what's killing

    Not likely, because it does show up in "Network places" or whatever it's
    called in typical MS babble.

    > iptables -A INPUT -t filter -s 192.168.8.0/24 -j ACCEPT

    And this won't work to open the firewall if there's a DROP or REJECT
    rule ahead in the list. Change "-A" to "-I".

    My guess: the too-simple smb.conf lacks "encrypt passwords = yes", so
    the client is sending an encrypted password which is being evaluated as
    plain text. I suggest adding that, then "smbpasswd -a someone".

    testparm(1) and Samba logs would help troubleshoot this. There may be no
    logging taking place with log options not set on the command line nor in
    smb.conf.
    --
    /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
    or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

  4. Re: I'm going crazy, why can't I see the Samba shares!

    "/dev/rob0" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > > My thought is that the firewall on the *linux* box is what's killing

    > Not likely, because it does show up in "Network places" or whatever it's
    > called in typical MS babble.
    >
    > > iptables -A INPUT -t filter -s 192.168.8.0/24 -j ACCEPT

    > And this won't work to open the firewall if there's a DROP or REJECT
    > rule ahead in the list. Change "-A" to "-I".

    James/Robo

    Thanks for the help.

    James, your command line, gave me "bad argument", but your comment about the
    firewall default, was right. When you install RH9, via the graphical
    interface, it sort of implies that any machine that "sees" the net, should
    have at least the "medium" firewall settings that sets the LAN card as a
    non-trusted device. I did have a problem with that instruction, but
    followed it. Silly me if its not "trusted" then no incoming connections!!

    All now up and running.....now to the printer!!

    Steve, Kent, UK

+ Reply to Thread