DHCP + Samba? - SMB

This is a discussion on DHCP + Samba? - SMB ; Hello, I have a home network with 3 machines which I will call WINXP, WIN98, and LINUX. They are all connected via a Linksys router which acts as the DHCP server. My WINXP machine is a laptop that I occasionally ...

  1. DHCP + Samba?

    Hello,

    I have a home network with 3 machines which I will call WINXP, WIN98,
    and LINUX.
    They are all connected via a Linksys router which acts as the DHCP
    server.

    My WINXP machine is a laptop that I occasionally take to the office
    (so must be set to use DHCP).

    I wanted to open a directory on my LINUX machine as a windows share,
    so I installed samba. I can connect fine as long as I hardcode my
    WINXP name/IP address in the /etc/hosts file. (If I don't, then I get
    nmbd errors in my startup file: register_name_response: server at IP
    192.168.1.100 rejected our name registration ...)

    The trouble is, that since my WINXP machine is a DHCP client, the IP
    address can sometimes change.

    Since I am not running a DNS server, I assume that my windows machines
    know each others names via WINS?
    Does this mean that one of my windows machines is acting as a WINS
    server?

    How do I configure my LINUX box so that it can automatically resolve
    my windows machine names? Right now, I can't even ping my WINXP
    machine by name from my LINUX box.

    It looks like SWAT has some configuration options for WINS:
    dns proxy (yes/no)?
    WINS server (what do I put here?)
    WINS support (yes/no)?

    What are my options for solving this issue?

    Thanks,

    Darren

  2. Re: DHCP + Samba?

    Problem solved:

    Installed nss_wins (from my distribution CD), added wins to my
    etc/nsswitch.conf:

    hosts: files wins nisplus nis dns

    Then, rebooted the server.

    I can now ping my winXP machine, and also connect to my samba share

    -Darren

    "Darren Naylor" wrote in message
    news:220c5f5.0401011424.6018ad69@posting.google.co m...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a home network with 3 machines which I will call WINXP, WIN98,
    > and LINUX.
    > They are all connected via a Linksys router which acts as the DHCP
    > server.
    >
    > My WINXP machine is a laptop that I occasionally take to the office
    > (so must be set to use DHCP).
    >
    > I wanted to open a directory on my LINUX machine as a windows share,
    > so I installed samba. I can connect fine as long as I hardcode my
    > WINXP name/IP address in the /etc/hosts file. (If I don't, then I get
    > nmbd errors in my startup file: register_name_response: server at IP
    > 192.168.1.100 rejected our name registration ...)
    >
    > The trouble is, that since my WINXP machine is a DHCP client, the IP
    > address can sometimes change.
    >
    > Since I am not running a DNS server, I assume that my windows machines
    > know each others names via WINS?
    > Does this mean that one of my windows machines is acting as a WINS
    > server?
    >
    > How do I configure my LINUX box so that it can automatically resolve
    > my windows machine names? Right now, I can't even ping my WINXP
    > machine by name from my LINUX box.
    >
    > It looks like SWAT has some configuration options for WINS:
    > dns proxy (yes/no)?
    > WINS server (what do I put here?)
    > WINS support (yes/no)?
    >
    > What are my options for solving this issue?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Darren

+ Reply to Thread