Pdc is up and running, but how do i add administrator privileges to users logged in to the domain? - SMB

This is a discussion on Pdc is up and running, but how do i add administrator privileges to users logged in to the domain? - SMB ; Pdc is up and running, but how do i add administrator privileges to users logged in to the domain? i have been slaving over the documentation now for hours trying to figure out how to set policies and so on. ...

  1. Pdc is up and running, but how do i add administrator privileges to users logged in to the domain?

    Pdc is up and running, but how do i add administrator privileges to users
    logged in to the domain?
    i have been slaving over the documentation now for hours trying to figure
    out how to set policies and so on.

    so i was just wondering if anybody could point in the right direction.

    I was talking with some bloke on irc. and he said all i had to do was to
    make the linux account a super user account (uid=0 and gid=0) so i tried
    that, but didn't work.

    if anyone is considering making a policy howto, then im an eager reader..

    Cheers.

  2. Re: Pdc is up and running, but how do i add administrator privileges to users logged in to the domain?

    netbrain wrote:

    > Pdc is up and running, but how do i add administrator privileges to users
    > logged in to the domain?

    With samba-2.2.x, there are no other groups but "Domain admin group" members
    explicitely (by name or @groupname) defined in that config line.
    Unfortunately then they are also (maybe unbeknownst) Domain admins.
    Samba-3 has changed that, you can use pdbedit to add users to predefined
    windows security groups like "power users" or local admins. Though, it's a
    rather tiresome process yet.

    > i have been slaving over the documentation now for hours trying to figure
    > out how to set policies and so on.

    Get the "poledit" addon, best from a w2k server cd, it's somewhere hidden.
    You have to put the ntconfig.pol into the netlogon share.
    However, since windows2k promotes active directory and group policies
    instead, it's a bit flakey and doesn't work perfectly (no bugfixing anymore
    since it's a leftover from NT4).

    > so i was just wondering if anybody could point in the right direction.
    >
    > I was talking with some bloke on irc. and he said all i had to do was to
    > make the linux account a super user account (uid=0 and gid=0) so i tried
    > that, but didn't work.

    Uh. No, linux superuser has nothing in common with windows local admin role.
    Did the IRC buddies then joke around and sent you some binary niciety? ;-)

    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]

  3. Re: Pdc is up and running, but how do i add administrator privileges to users logged in to the domain?

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:18:21 +0100, Walter Mautner
    wrote:

    > netbrain wrote:
    >

    >> Pdc is up and running, but how do i add administrator privileges to
    >> users
    >> logged in to the domain?

    > With samba-2.2.x, there are no other groups but "Domain admin group"
    > members
    > explicitely (by name or @groupname) defined in that config line.
    > Unfortunately then they are also (maybe unbeknownst) Domain admins.
    > Samba-3 has changed that, you can use pdbedit to add users to predefined
    > windows security groups like "power users" or local admins. Though, it's
    > rather tiresome process yet.

    And all this information on pdbedit can i get in the man pages? And, yes
    im using samba 3.

    >> i have been slaving over the documentation now for hours trying to
    >> figure
    >> out how to set policies and so on.
    >>

    > Get the "poledit" addon, best from a w2k server cd, it's somewhere
    > hidden.
    > You have to put the ntconfig.pol into the netlogon share.
    > However, since windows2k promotes active directory and group policies
    > instead, it's a bit flakey and doesn't work perfectly (no bugfixing
    > anymore
    > since it's a leftover from NT4).

    you wouldn't know about any resources on the internet where i can get this
    program?

    >> so i was just wondering if anybody could point in the right direction.
    >>
    >> I was talking with some bloke on irc. and he said all i had to do was to
    >> make the linux account a super user account (uid=0 and gid=0) so i tried
    >> that, but didn't work.
    >>

    > Uh. No, linux superuser has nothing in common with windows local admin
    > role.
    > Did the IRC buddies then joke around and sent you some binary niciety?
    > ;-)

    hehe. thanks mate. this is the best help i have recieved the last week!
    happy new year!

  4. Re: Pdc is up and running, but how do i add administrator privileges to users logged in to the domain?

    netbrain wrote:

    > And all this information on pdbedit can i get in the man pages? And, yes
    > im using samba 3.

    Oh yes, there is a webpage: http://localhost:901/swat/help/pdbedit.8.html
    *eg*

    >> Get the "poledit" addon, best from a w2k server cd, it's somewhere
    >> hidden.
    >> You have to put the ntconfig.pol into the netlogon share.
    >> However, since windows2k promotes active directory and group policies
    >> instead, it's a bit flakey and doesn't work perfectly (no bugfixing
    >> anymore
    >> since it's a leftover from NT4).

    > you wouldn't know about any resources on the internet where i can get this
    > program?

    It should be a part of NT4 servicepacks but you need to expand the stuff
    somehow. Or mail me (wmautnerhotmail.com) if you can't find it
    elsewhere.
    Good luck!
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]

+ Reply to Thread