Problems accessing Linux Shares - SMB

This is a discussion on Problems accessing Linux Shares - SMB ; I use Redhat Linux 9, SWAT version 2.2.7a-8.9.0 , and Samba version 2.2.7a-8.9.0. I have one Windows 2000 and one XP system that use the linuxbox as a filserver. There are various access problems with the Windows machines getting access ...

  1. Problems accessing Linux Shares

    I use Redhat Linux 9, SWAT version 2.2.7a-8.9.0 , and Samba version
    2.2.7a-8.9.0. I have one Windows 2000 and one XP system that use the
    linuxbox as a filserver. There are various access problems with the
    Windows machines getting access to the Samba shares.

    The Windows2000 machine accesses the Linux shares fine (requiring
    authentication for each share and giving access rights based on the
    local acces rights of the user/password combination provided from the
    windows machine to access the linux share)....

    However, when at the Windows XP machine, the WindowsXP system can
    'see' the host and it's shares on the network (my LAN) but when I
    double-click on the share, I get a Windows error message saying it
    cannot 'find the path' to the network share...

    Why is this happening?

    Ferindo

  2. Re: Problems accessing Linux Shares

    "Ferindo Middleton, Jr" wrote in message
    news:7234c378.0312281540.4d6025ed@posting.google.c om...
    > I use Redhat Linux 9, SWAT version 2.2.7a-8.9.0 , and Samba version
    > 2.2.7a-8.9.0. I have one Windows 2000 and one XP system that use the
    > linuxbox as a filserver. There are various access problems with the
    > Windows machines getting access to the Samba shares.
    >
    > The Windows2000 machine accesses the Linux shares fine (requiring
    > authentication for each share and giving access rights based on the
    > local acces rights of the user/password combination provided from the
    > windows machine to access the linux share)....
    >
    > However, when at the Windows XP machine, the WindowsXP system can
    > 'see' the host and it's shares on the network (my LAN) but when I
    > double-click on the share, I get a Windows error message saying it
    > cannot 'find the path' to the network share...
    >
    > Why is this happening?
    >
    > Ferindo

    There is a difference with the XP logon that may be causing the problem.
    Search this newsgroup or the MS web site for "requiresignorseal"

  3. Re: Problems accessing Linux Shares

    On 28 Dec 2003 15:40:46 -0800, fmiddletonjr@netscape.net (Ferindo
    Middleton, Jr) wrote:

    >I use Redhat Linux 9, SWAT version 2.2.7a-8.9.0 , and Samba version
    >2.2.7a-8.9.0. I have one Windows 2000 and one XP system that use the
    >linuxbox as a filserver. There are various access problems with the
    >Windows machines getting access to the Samba shares.
    >
    >The Windows2000 machine accesses the Linux shares fine (requiring
    >authentication for each share and giving access rights based on the
    >local acces rights of the user/password combination provided from the
    >windows machine to access the linux share)....
    >
    >However, when at the Windows XP machine, the WindowsXP system can
    >'see' the host and it's shares on the network (my LAN) but when I
    >double-click on the share, I get a Windows error message saying it
    >cannot 'find the path' to the network share...
    >
    >Why is this happening?
    >
    >Ferindo

    With version prior to v3, I believe you have to change the group
    policy (local security) to turn off digital signing, or change it to
    "when possible", instead of always.

    Start, Run, then type in: gpedit.msc

    In the mmc console that opens, under Computer Configuration, expand
    Windows Settings, then Local Policies, then Click on Security Options.

    In the pane on the right, find:
    Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always).
    Double click it, and change it to Disabled.
    You may also just want to veryify these 2 are disabled also:
    Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always)
    Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always)

    Close the mmc console.

    Click start, then Run, and type: cmd

    In the command window, type: gpupdate
    and press enter, it should refresh the policy.

    Sounds like you're not on a domain here, so domain policies are not in
    effect, so the local policy should do the job.

    Ron

  4. Re: Problems accessing Linux Shares

    Wow, what instructions! Ok, so now I get

    "The account is not authorized to login from this workstation".

    So, I change samba to enable encrypted passwords and I get the xp login. I
    type in the name and password for my little network that I've been using for
    years and it just keeps asking like I've got it wrong.

    I know this sounds like I have a basic nut loose on my network, (unmatched
    workgroups, unmatched user/password combos, whatever) but I ran samba on
    small linux servers with win9x clients for years. Then I went to xp
    workstations and cannot get past the failed login. Since I didn't want to go
    back to win9x, I was forced to convert one of the servers to xp pro so that
    I had a shareable file server again. (Those are real tears on my keyboard.)

    I'm running RedHat 6.2 and samba 2.0.6 - old, I know, I just don't have the
    time to keep upgrading these things, like I went to RedHat 7.2 on one server
    and spent more than a day just getting apache and the telnet server to run
    again with new default (enhanced) security settings.

    Anyway, is there some other nut loose that you (or any other amused party)
    might suggest?

    Thanks. I really know what this is like for you, but I'm, like, stuck
    without those shares.

    Tim P

    "Ron Smith" wrote in message
    > On 28 Dec 2003 15:40:46 -0800, fmiddletonjr@netscape.net (Ferindo
    > Middleton, Jr) wrote:
    >
    > >I use Redhat Linux 9, SWAT version 2.2.7a-8.9.0 , and Samba version
    > >2.2.7a-8.9.0. I have one Windows 2000 and one XP system that use the
    > >linuxbox as a filserver. There are various access problems with the
    > >Windows machines getting access to the Samba shares.
    > >
    > >The Windows2000 machine accesses the Linux shares fine (requiring
    > >authentication for each share and giving access rights based on the
    > >local acces rights of the user/password combination provided from the
    > >windows machine to access the linux share)....
    > >
    > >However, when at the Windows XP machine, the WindowsXP system can
    > >'see' the host and it's shares on the network (my LAN) but when I
    > >double-click on the share, I get a Windows error message saying it
    > >cannot 'find the path' to the network share...
    > >
    > >Why is this happening?
    > >
    > >Ferindo

    > With version prior to v3, I believe you have to change the group
    > policy (local security) to turn off digital signing, or change it to
    > "when possible", instead of always.
    >
    > Start, Run, then type in: gpedit.msc
    >
    > In the mmc console that opens, under Computer Configuration, expand
    > Windows Settings, then Local Policies, then Click on Security Options.
    >
    > In the pane on the right, find:
    > Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always).
    > Double click it, and change it to Disabled.
    > You may also just want to veryify these 2 are disabled also:
    > Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always)
    > Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always)
    >
    > Close the mmc console.
    >
    > Click start, then Run, and type: cmd
    >
    > In the command window, type: gpupdate
    > and press enter, it should refresh the policy.
    >
    > Sounds like you're not on a domain here, so domain policies are not in
    > effect, so the local policy should do the job.
    >
    > Ron

  5. Re: Problems accessing Linux Shares

    "trp" wrote in message
    news:nx6Ub.126927$9Ce1.20413@news04.bloor.is.net.c able.rogers.com...
    > Wow, what instructions! Ok, so now I get
    >
    > "The account is not authorized to login from this workstation".
    >
    > So, I change samba to enable encrypted passwords and I get the xp login. I
    > type in the name and password for my little network that I've been using

    for
    > years and it just keeps asking like I've got it wrong.
    >
    > I know this sounds like I have a basic nut loose on my network, (unmatched
    > workgroups, unmatched user/password combos, whatever) but I ran samba on
    > small linux servers with win9x clients for years. Then I went to xp
    > workstations and cannot get past the failed login. Since I didn't want to

    go
    > back to win9x, I was forced to convert one of the servers to xp pro so

    that
    > I had a shareable file server again. (Those are real tears on my

    keyboard.)

    > I'm running RedHat 6.2 and samba 2.0.6 - old, I know, I just don't have

    the
    > time to keep upgrading these things, like I went to RedHat 7.2 on one

    server
    > and spent more than a day just getting apache and the telnet server to run
    > again with new default (enhanced) security settings.

    Did you try the "requiresignorseal" search or do you need instructions ?

+ Reply to Thread