starting Samba daemons at bootup - SMB

This is a discussion on starting Samba daemons at bootup - SMB ; I've included the lines: /usr/local/libexec smbd # start the Samba daemons /usr/local/libexec nmbd in /etc/rc.local but my Windows 98 users don't see the shares. Using Webmin to see what's going on I'm told: The Samba servers do not appear to ...

  1. starting Samba daemons at bootup

    I've included the lines:

    /usr/local/libexec smbd # start the Samba daemons
    /usr/local/libexec nmbd

    in /etc/rc.local but my Windows 98 users don't see the shares. Using
    Webmin to see what's going on I'm told:

    The Samba servers do not appear to be running on your system. This
    means that the shares listed above will not be accessible to other
    computers.

    Clicking 'start servers' gets everything going OK. What am I missing
    to make it so they start properly when the server boots?

    The server is OpenBSD 3.2, smbd/nmbd are 2.2.8a (which are the latest
    packages for OpenBSD I believe).

  2. Re: starting Samba daemons at bootup

    "asumoactingbig" wrote in message
    news:bac833fe.0312271849.6637b493@posting.google.c om...
    > I've included the lines:
    >
    > /usr/local/libexec smbd # start the Samba daemons
    > /usr/local/libexec nmbd
    >
    > in /etc/rc.local but my Windows 98 users don't see the shares. Using
    > Webmin to see what's going on I'm told:
    >
    > The Samba servers do not appear to be running on your system. This
    > means that the shares listed above will not be accessible to other
    > computers.
    >
    > Clicking 'start servers' gets everything going OK. What am I missing
    > to make it so they start properly when the server boots?
    >
    > The server is OpenBSD 3.2, smbd/nmbd are 2.2.8a (which are the latest
    > packages for OpenBSD I believe).

    If you're using Webmin, from the System page use Bootup and Shutdown to edit
    the smb action in the bootup sequence.

  3. Re: starting Samba daemons at bootup

    You could have a problem with the log files - if samba can't find log files
    or smb.conf it can fail without an error message.

    Are you getting any entries in log.smbd or log.nmbd? how about in the system
    error log?

    Can you start the services manually from the command line? If not, what error
    messages do you get there?

    asumoactingbig wrote:
    > I've included the lines:

    > /usr/local/libexec smbd # start the Samba daemons
    > /usr/local/libexec nmbd

    > in /etc/rc.local but my Windows 98 users don't see the shares. Using
    > Webmin to see what's going on I'm told:

    > The Samba servers do not appear to be running on your system. This
    > means that the shares listed above will not be accessible to other
    > computers.

    > Clicking 'start servers' gets everything going OK. What am I missing
    > to make it so they start properly when the server boots?

    > The server is OpenBSD 3.2, smbd/nmbd are 2.2.8a (which are the latest
    > packages for OpenBSD I believe).

+ Reply to Thread