receiving popups from the internet - SMB

This is a discussion on receiving popups from the internet - SMB ; hi Everyone, I configured Samba with the "message command" correctly placed and configured to receive messages from my LAN but I am unable to receive messages from anywhere in the internet. I understand that this is somehow disabled by default ...

  1. receiving popups from the internet

    hi Everyone,

    I configured Samba with the "message command"
    correctly placed and configured to receive messages from my LAN but
    I am unable to receive messages from anywhere in the internet.
    I understand that this is somehow disabled by default for
    security reasons.
    I'm just curious as to what settings must I enable in the smb.conf
    to allow machines in the internet to send me messages.

    thanks

  2. Re: receiving popups from the internet

    Joe Blow wrote:

    > hi Everyone,
    >
    > I configured Samba with the "message command"
    > correctly placed and configured to receive messages from my LAN but
    > I am unable to receive messages from anywhere in the internet.
    > I understand that this is somehow disabled by default for
    > security reasons.

    Most ISPs disable these ports on their routers by default, for security
    reasons (too many unprotected windows boxen, messenger spam). Go to
    www.grc.com and check if you have ports 137-139 open or stealthed. Disable
    any linux firewall.

    > I'm just curious as to what settings must I enable in the smb.conf
    > to allow machines in the internet to send me messages.

    Standard settings would allow "all interfaces" (at least ethX). But it is
    strongly adviced you use the "interfaces" and "bind interfaces only"
    statements (man smb.conf, or swat in expert mode) to turn off the external
    interface for samba.
    For chatting, better use gaim or xchat.
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]

  3. Re: receiving popups from the internet

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    > Joe Blow wrote:
    >

    >>hi Everyone,
    >>
    >>I configured Samba with the "message command"
    >>correctly placed and configured to receive messages from my LAN but
    >>I am unable to receive messages from anywhere in the internet.
    >>I understand that this is somehow disabled by default for
    >>security reasons.

    > Most ISPs disable these ports on their routers by default, for security
    > reasons (too many unprotected windows boxen, messenger spam). Go to
    > www.grc.com and check if you have ports 137-139 open or stealthed. Disable
    > any linux firewall.

    When I'm not experimenting on samba receiving popups, I have my firewall
    up and I get denied hits on port 137 and 139 frequently so I dont
    think my ISP is blocking those packets.

    I did disable my firewall but still could net receive any popups.

    There is a popup testing link (http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2) in
    www.grc.com that sends me a
    popup. It is called "Spam Myself." This is what I'm using for testing.

    >>I'm just curious as to what settings must I enable in the smb.conf
    >>to allow machines in the internet to send me messages.
    >>

    > Standard settings would allow "all interfaces" (at least ethX). But it is
    > strongly adviced you use the "interfaces" and "bind interfaces only"
    > statements (man smb.conf, or swat in expert mode) to turn off the external
    > interface for samba.
    > For chatting, better use gaim or xchat.

    I do use xchat and gaim sometimes. They are very good.

    Thanks

  4. Re: receiving popups from the internet

    Charlie F wrote:

    > Walter Mautner wrote:
    >
    >> Joe Blow wrote:
    >>

    >>>hi Everyone,
    >>>
    >>>I configured Samba with the "message command"
    >>>correctly placed and configured to receive messages from my LAN but
    >>>I am unable to receive messages from anywhere in the internet.
    >>>I understand that this is somehow disabled by default for
    >>>security reasons.

    >> Most ISPs disable these ports on their routers by default, for security
    >> reasons (too many unprotected windows boxen, messenger spam). Go to
    >> www.grc.com and check if you have ports 137-139 open or stealthed.
    >> Disable any linux firewall.

    > When I'm not experimenting on samba receiving popups, I have my firewall
    > up and I get denied hits on port 137 and 139 frequently so I dont
    > think my ISP is blocking those packets.
    >
    > I did disable my firewall but still could net receive any popups.
    >
    > There is a popup testing link (http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2) in
    > www.grc.com that sends me a
    > popup. It is called "Spam Myself." This is what I'm using for testing.

    You probably receive the packets from your subnet (maybe your neighbors or
    your own winboxen?) but one of the routers in between grc.com and you
    blocks them. Try the "shields up" test with open firewall, test only these
    ports and a few around to make sure.

    Happy new year!
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]

+ Reply to Thread