smbmount to win2k dying after kernel/samba upgrades - SMB

This is a discussion on smbmount to win2k dying after kernel/samba upgrades - SMB ; Really odd problem that I'm having, and I'm totally clueless as to whats causing it. Scenario: 2 mounts from a W2K machine to a Linux box. The Win2k box gets powered down overnight. Obviously during this, if i do a ...

  1. smbmount to win2k dying after kernel/samba upgrades

    Really odd problem that I'm having, and I'm totally clueless as to whats
    causing it.

    Scenario:
    2 mounts from a W2K machine to a Linux box. The Win2k box gets powered
    down overnight. Obviously during this, if i do a df it freezes because it
    cant reach the drives. I used to be able to boot the machine back up in
    the morning and it would see the drives again. Not anymore. The same
    occurs even if I reboot the win2k box and it comes back in 2 minutes. Im
    totally clueless. I can umount then mount again and it'll work, but it
    wont fix itself after a reboot.

    Information which might be helpful:

    Environment:
    Slackware Linux on the -current tree (close to v9.1)
    Kernel brought to 2.6.0 from source
    Samba 3.0.1 from source (./configure --with-smbmount)

    Which look like this when correctly mounted:
    //blitzwing/c 39067648 29671424 9396224 76% /blitzwing/cdrive
    //blitzwing/jimothy 39067648 29671424 9396224 76% /blitzwing/write

    My lines in /etc/fstab (drives get mounted out of rc.local)
    //blitzwing/c /blitzwing/cdrive smbfs ip=192.168.1.2,ro,username=linux,password=XXXXXX
    //blitzwing/jimothy /blitzwing/write smbfs ip=192.168.1.2,rw,username=linux,password=XXXXXX

    Error lines from 'dmesg' on machine thats failing
    smb_add_request: request [c69f8ec0, mid=6] timed out!
    SMB connection re-established (-5)
    smb_lookup: find //Documents and Settings failed, error=-512
    smb_add_request: request [c351be60, mid=13] timed out!
    smb_lookup: find //Documents and Settings failed, error=-5
    smb_add_request: request [c3929ec0, mid=13] timed out!
    SMB connection re-established (-5)
    SMB connection re-established (-5)
    smb_add_request: request [c46f0ec0, mid=54] timed out!
    smb_add_request: request [c46f0ec0, mid=25] timed out!
    smb_add_request: request [c440eee0, mid=56] timed out!

    I upgraded to the new kernel and latest Samba at the same time, and I cant
    tell which thing is causing the issue (if its either at all)

    Does anyone have ANY clue what could be causing this? Im
    wondering if theres something different in 2.6.0 that I failed to compile
    in, or if theres something I did wrong with the 3.0.1 compile.

    I can paste up anything else that might be needed to figure out whats
    going on. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. ThankS

    --
    ______ ______
    ..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32

  2. Re: smbmount to win2k dying after kernel/samba upgrades

    eXistenZ32 wrote:
    ---snip---
    > My lines in /etc/fstab (drives get mounted out of rc.local)
    > //blitzwing/c /blitzwing/cdrive smbfs
    > ip=192.168.1.2,ro,username=linux,password=XXXXXX
    > //blitzwing/jimothy /blitzwing/write smbfs
    > ip=192.168.1.2,rw,username=linux,password=XXXXXX

    ---snip---

    You should study the mount man page and have a look at the samba section.
    There are numerous mount options for samba resources that you may find
    helpful. You didn't mention what version samba you upgraded from or to, but
    I suspect you need a bit more "meat" on your mount lines.

    Here's a snip from my /etc/fstab for a couple of smbfs mounts. BEWARE WORD
    WRAP!

    #samba mount
    //sid/root /mnt/sid smbfs
    rsize=16384,wsize=16384,soft,ttl=100000,soc_opt=tc p_nodelay,soc_opt=iptos_lowdelay,username=user%pas sword,fmask=644,dmask=755,ip=192.168.0.11,debug=0, workgroup=WORKGROUP,noauto
    0 0
    //mcbrides/root /mnt/mroot smbfs
    rsize=16384,wsize=16384,soft,ttl=100000,soc_opt=tc p_nodelay,soc_opt=iptos_lowdelay,username=user%pas swod,fmask=644,dmask=755,ip=192.168.0.1,debug=0,wo rkgroup=WORKGROUP,noauto
    0 0

    Using "soft" allows things to timeout in an orderly fashion.

    Cheers.

    --

    ************************************************** ****************************
    Registered Linux User Number 185956

  3. Re: smbmount to win2k dying after kernel/samba upgrades

    I upgraded from samba 3.0.0 which was running without issue, and I've actually downgraded
    back to that to test it out. No dice... I think this is something in the kernel by going
    from 2.4.23 to 2.6.0

    I added in the changes you recommended, but the same stuff is going on, even with a 2minute
    reboot (DAMN!)

    root@jimothy:~# df
    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda1 3784512 1608412 1980752 45% /
    /dev/hdb1 9848224 4933048 4414908 53% /aux
    ^C

    root@jimothy:~# cd /blitzwing/write (extremely long pause here)
    root@jimothy:/blitzwing/write# ls
    /bin/ls: .: Input/output error
    root@jimothy:/blitzwing/write#

    Im not getting any help on the samba mailing list from samba.org lately either
    on this... damn!

    --
    ..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32

+ Reply to Thread