Please Help!

I have a VPN setup between 2 locations, with a samba file server at
location A. Location A has no problem at all with the samba server.
They can create, delete, edit, etc., all files including ms word docs.
But on location B (remote location), I can edit and open only plain
text files. When i try to open, create, or delete word docs, the
system freezes. The clients are running windoze xp pro.
I have played with the socket options a little, and it has improved a
little, but not much. I have realized that this may have something to
do with the distance between locations, considering it works fine at
location A (where the server is). Please help!

TIA
Rob