easy samba question - SMB

This is a discussion on easy samba question - SMB ; Ok guys I have a newbie samba question. I currently have samba 2.2.7a on redhat 9.0. I would like to upgrade to 3.0.1 with the rpm -U command 1. will I keep all my currently functionality if I upgrade with ...

  1. easy samba question

    Ok guys I have a newbie samba question.

    I currently have samba 2.2.7a on redhat 9.0. I would like to upgrade to
    3.0.1 with the rpm -U command

    1. will I keep all my currently functionality if I upgrade with the rpm
    command.

    2. my users on NT have environmental variables in their profiles which are a
    pain to copy over. if I upgrade will my users keep their profiles or will
    they get the default user profile?

    Thanks

    Seth Cusick

  2. Re: easy samba question

    Seth,

    I upgraded from 2.2.7a on my RH9 box & had no problems at all. The rpm update
    sees the existing smb.conf file & doesn't touch it. It created an
    smb.conf.rpmnew which is the default configuration file.

    Since the reference to the roaming profiles is stored in smb.conf & the upgrade
    makes no changes to smb.conf nothing should change.

    I have had no samba problems since upgrading. I've had Windows problems (go
    figure) but nothing on Samba.
    Bill in Sacramento, California....

+ Reply to Thread