Samba/Eudora interaction: Settings become invisible. - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba/Eudora interaction: Settings become invisible. - SMB ; Odd behaviour on Eudora. I've seen this now with both 5.1 and 6.0, interacting with Samba 2.2.8a Eudora installed with default data folder of H:\Eudora, with H:\ being mapped as the user's home directory. Home directories are served by samba. ...

  1. Samba/Eudora interaction: Settings become invisible.

    Odd behaviour on Eudora.
    I've seen this now with both 5.1 and 6.0, interacting with Samba 2.2.8a

    Eudora installed with default data folder of H:\Eudora, with H:\ being
    mapped as the user's home directory. Home directories are served by samba.

    For one user suddently he stopped getting mail. On checking, he had much
    mail in his spool file. I went to his machine. Lost his configuration.
    Further I couldn't make changes stick.

    Opened H:\Eudora\EUDORA.INI. All the settings were there. Hmm.
    For a while I thought it a case problem. On the server I
    moved EUDORA.INI to eudora.ini. Now he could read his mail.

    Stopped and restarted Eudora on his machine.
    Lost settings.

    Changed eudora.ini to Eudora.ini.
    settings found.

    Other users have various combinations of case.
    Ideas as to what is going on

  2. Re: Samba/Eudora interaction: Settings become invisible.

    Sherwood Botsford wrote:

    >Odd behaviour on Eudora.
    >I've seen this now with both 5.1 and 6.0, interacting with Samba 2.2.8a
    >
    >Eudora installed with default data folder of H:\Eudora, with H:\ being
    >mapped as the user's home directory. Home directories are served by samba.
    >
    >For one user suddently he stopped getting mail. On checking, he had much
    >mail in his spool file. I went to his machine. Lost his configuration.
    >Further I couldn't make changes stick.
    >
    >Opened H:\Eudora\EUDORA.INI. All the settings were there. Hmm.
    >For a while I thought it a case problem. On the server I
    >moved EUDORA.INI to eudora.ini. Now he could read his mail.
    >
    >Stopped and restarted Eudora on his machine.
    >Lost settings.
    >
    >Changed eudora.ini to Eudora.ini.
    >settings found.
    >
    >Other users have various combinations of case.
    >Ideas as to what is going on

    Make sure the active .ini file is NOT marked "Read Only". Don't know if
    that'll help, but if it's marked, no changes can be made to it.

    Rick

    Rick

    --
    CAR IN DITCH
    DRIVER IN TREE

  3. Re: Samba/Eudora interaction: Settings become invisible.

    In <5e34b16e.0312171126.9793b74@posting.google.com>
    Sherwood Botsford wrote:
    > Odd behaviour on Eudora.
    > I've seen this now with both 5.1 and 6.0, interacting with Samba 2.2.8a
    >
    > Eudora installed with default data folder of H:\Eudora, with H:\ being
    > mapped as the user's home directory. Home directories are served by samba.
    >
    > For one user suddently he stopped getting mail. On checking, he had much
    > mail in his spool file. I went to his machine. Lost his configuration.
    > Further I couldn't make changes stick.

    What do you mean by "lost configuration," since the eudora.ini file is
    still present? Do you mean that Eudora on the client machine behaves as if
    it is freshly installed?

    --
    Jennifer Mullen
    redjen@psu.edu