Samba 3 Woes.... - SMB

This is a discussion on Samba 3 Woes.... - SMB ; Hi, I am running Samba version 3 (newest) on RedHat 7.3 Most of the time, I can access my share from a W2K mahine. This is sporadic. As a last resort, I am going to change the NIC in the ...

  1. Samba 3 Woes....

    Hi,
    I am running Samba version 3 (newest) on RedHat 7.3

    Most of the time, I can access my share from a W2K mahine. This is
    sporadic. As a last resort, I am going to change the NIC in the Linux
    box.

    When I try to access my share from a PC running XP Pro:
    (steps taken)
    Map Network Drive
    Enter "\\ip.ad.dr.ess\share"
    Sometimes, I will get the Login & Password dialogue box (most of the
    time I do not).
    When I enter the username & password, the box pops right back up, with
    an empty password field. Almost seems like a password problem? I made
    sure the user exists (I can ssh using login name & pw) and changed the
    smb password (smbpasswd -a ) to match. Also, there is
    nothing (login failure, etc..) in /var/log/messages, /var/log/secure,
    /var/log/samba/log.* (this isnt even created!).

    I'm stumped. I've read as much as I can and tried a bunch of different
    configurations. This is my current smb.conf:

    [global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    domain master = no
    dns proxy = no

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

    [store1]
    comment = store1
    valid users =
    path = /store1/share
    read only = no
    public = no

    Thanks a lot
    Mike

  2. Re: Samba 3 Woes....

    maldrich12@hotmail.com (maldrich) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    > I am running Samba version 3 (newest) on RedHat 7.3
    >
    > Most of the time, I can access my share from a W2K mahine. This is
    > sporadic. As a last resort, I am going to change the NIC in the Linux
    > box.
    >
    > When I try to access my share from a PC running XP Pro:
    > (steps taken)
    > Map Network Drive
    > Enter "\\ip.ad.dr.ess\share"
    > Sometimes, I will get the Login & Password dialogue box (most of the
    > time I do not).
    > When I enter the username & password, the box pops right back up, with
    > an empty password field. Almost seems like a password problem? I made
    > sure the user exists (I can ssh using login name & pw) and changed the
    > smb password (smbpasswd -a ) to match. Also, there is
    > nothing (login failure, etc..) in /var/log/messages, /var/log/secure,
    > /var/log/samba/log.* (this isnt even created!).
    >
    > I'm stumped. I've read as much as I can and tried a bunch of different
    > configurations. This is my current smb.conf:
    >
    > [global]
    > workgroup = WORKGROUP
    > server string = Samba Server
    > printcap name = /etc/printcap
    > load printers = yes
    > log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    > max log size = 50
    > security = user
    > encrypt passwords = yes
    > smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    > username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    > socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    > domain master = no
    > dns proxy = no
    >
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > browseable = no
    > writable = yes
    >
    > [printers]
    > comment = All Printers
    > path = /var/spool/samba
    > browseable = no
    > guest ok = no
    > writable = no
    > printable = yes
    >
    > [store1]
    > comment = store1
    > valid users =
    > path = /store1/share
    > read only = no
    > public = no
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    > Mike

    I found a problem regarding Windows XP Pro & Samba and encrypted
    passwords. I changed the following registry key on the Windows XP Pro
    PC:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Netlogon/Parameters/req
    uiressignorseal
    TYPE=REG_DWORD
    Value = 0 (default is 1)

    This did not help.