RH9- samba on port 445 - inetd question. - SMB

This is a discussion on RH9- samba on port 445 - inetd question. - SMB ; I'm trying to get Samba on RH9 to listen on the SMB port (445/TCP) as well as the default netbios-ns (138/UDP) and netbios-ssn (139/TCP) ports. To do this with samba 2.x versions on most *Nix platforms you add the following ...

  1. RH9- samba on port 445 - inetd question.

    I'm trying to get Samba on RH9 to listen on the SMB port (445/TCP) as well
    as the default netbios-ns (138/UDP) and netbios-ssn (139/TCP) ports. To do
    this with samba 2.x versions on most *Nix platforms you add the following
    line to your inetd.conf file:
    "microsoft-ds stream tcp nowait root {path to smbd} smbd".
    Problem is .... RH9 doesn't have an inetd.conf file but uses xinetd
    Anyone have any ideas about how to configure this?

    TIA,
    Russ

  2. Re: RH9- samba on port 445 - inetd question.

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:31:22 GMT, "Russ"
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to get Samba on RH9 to listen on the SMB port (445/TCP) as well
    >as the default netbios-ns (138/UDP) and netbios-ssn (139/TCP) ports. To do
    >this with samba 2.x versions on most *Nix platforms you add the following
    >line to your inetd.conf file:
    >"microsoft-ds stream tcp nowait root {path to smbd} smbd".
    >Problem is .... RH9 doesn't have an inetd.conf file but uses xinetd
    >Anyone have any ideas about how to configure this?

    ... and as an aside the default RH9 install gets its iptables
    (=firewall) configured to block all traffic to/from the smb ports
    including 445 .. well at least it did it here which costed me an
    awfull lot of time to figure out .. :-)

+ Reply to Thread